Exchange Rule to Sort by Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

We currently have an Exchange 2010 Enterprise Server, and have been using a catch-all account for sorting. We actually have a person who sits there and distributes mail to public folder manually. I'm thinking there has got to be a better way to do this.

Is there any way we could have that central account sort mail into folders by domain? There is a limit to the number of rules you can have per mailbox, so I would like to do it in one rule or script. It would go something like...

If mail is from *@<domain_name>

Take mail and and put it in Folder "<domain_name>"

Else put it in Folder "Unknown"

Is there any way to have exchange read the domain name, and then put it in that correspoding folder?

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• You wouldn't be able to do this with a Rule because Rules don't allow dynamic variables (or generally any variables you need a static set of conditions eg from @google.com etc).

You should be able to do it with script I would look a Powershell and EWS managed API http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd633709(v=exchg.80).aspx. The managed API has a move operation on the Item or if your moving a large number of items you can batch the move method to make it more efficient.

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:46 AM