All Unit Tests abort immediately RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using the TestManager extensively in Studio 2005 Team Version for months running dozens of unit tests as I develop.  Recently, every time I try to run a unit test *in Debug mode*, it aborts immediately with no message.  When I open the test results, all I get is this:

Test Name:   <test name>

Result:           Aborted

Duration:      00:00:00

Computer Name...

Start Time:   1/1/0001  12:00:00 AM

End Time:    (the real date time)

That's it.  Not a word more.  And ALL unit tests are doing this, even ones that used to run just fine.  If I just run them, they run fine, but I absolutely cannot run them in Debug mode!  Very bizzarre...

The only funky thing we've added recently, that I can think of, is using some ActiveX's and referencing some COM objects in a couple of the projects in the solution.

Has anyone seen this behavior or have any ideas?

Thanks!

John

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

After looking at the error message that you're getting, it is difficult for me to know what is really happening, I would have to take a look to your machine... but I can definitely say that your computer is not in the best possible state; I would recommend re-installing VSTS, and this problem should definitely go away.

Please let me know if you have further problems.

David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:22 PM
  • Wow!  Well, I have to say, your response, which at first I thought was kind of a cop out, turned out to be remarkably prescient.  A couple of weeks after your message, my hard drive began to destabilize and ultimately crashed.  And as it was degrading, one of the areas of the disk that was clearly in trouble was the VS area (which of course gets lots of read/writes).

Fortunately the crash wasn't immediate so I was able to get most my data off it.  But you were right, my machine was definitely ill and I didn't know it.  As soon as I switched machines, the unit tests in the same project that were all aborting immediately on debug behaved normally again, allowing me to debug unit tests as usual.

Thanks!

John

Friday, June 16, 2006 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Got several questions for you

1. When you run in normal mode (not under the debugger), are tests passing as expected?

2. Are you able to see any run-level details when your tests fail under the debugger? (In the test results window, you can view  run-specific details by clicking the "Test run:failed" link that appears in the left upper part of the test results window when there is a run failure)

3. Did you modify anything in the locatestrun.testrunconfig file that might be causing this behavior? If you chose to run tests remotely in the "Controller and Agent" tab by mistake, and you don't have a controller setup, then your tests are going to abort (this is just an example).

Thanks,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Monday, May 22, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Got several questions for you

See answers below...

1. When you run in normal mode (not under the debugger), are tests passing as expected?

Yes

2. Are you able to see any run-level details when your tests fail under the debugger? (In the test results window, you can view  run-specific details by clicking the "Test run:failed" link that appears in the left upper part of the test results window when there is a run failure)

Oh, sorry.  I was just double clicking on the result (row).  Looked where you suggested and got this:

Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'System.Drawing' directly or indirectly referenced by test assembly 'c:\projects\lisasharp\caseaccessioningtest\bin\debug\caseaccessioningtest.dll' was not found.
    Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'System.Windows.Forms' directly or indirectly referenced by test assembly 'c:\projects\lisasharp\caseaccessioningtest\bin\debug\caseaccessioningtest.dll' was not found.
    Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'System' directly or indirectly referenced by test assembly 'c:\projects\lisasharp\caseaccessioningtest\bin\debug\caseaccessioningtest.dll' was not found.
    Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'Interop.ADODB' directly or indirectly referenced by test assembly 'c:\projects\lisasharp\caseaccessioningtest\bin\debug\caseaccessioningtest.dll' was not found.
    Failed to Queue Test Run 'kingj@DBMGCN61 2006-05-22 15:38:41' with id {cc8dbc03-e3bc-4bb4-9559-da43b376a474}: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unable to start program 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\vstesthost.exe'.

3. Did you modify anything in the locatestrun.testrunconfig file that might

Not that I know of.  I looked under Administer Test Controller, and no Agents are set up.  I haven't tried any remote testing, so I doubt this is it.

Thanks for getting back to me!

John

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:05 PM
  • Hi John,

After looking at the error message that you're getting, it is difficult for me to know what is really happening, I would have to take a look to your machine... but I can definitely say that your computer is not in the best possible state; I would recommend re-installing VSTS, and this problem should definitely go away.

Please let me know if you have further problems.

David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:22 PM
  • Wow!  Well, I have to say, your response, which at first I thought was kind of a cop out, turned out to be remarkably prescient.  A couple of weeks after your message, my hard drive began to destabilize and ultimately crashed.  And as it was degrading, one of the areas of the disk that was clearly in trouble was the VS area (which of course gets lots of read/writes).

Fortunately the crash wasn't immediate so I was able to get most my data off it.  But you were right, my machine was definitely ill and I didn't know it.  As soon as I switched machines, the unit tests in the same project that were all aborting immediately on debug behaved normally again, allowing me to debug unit tests as usual.

Thanks!

John

Friday, June 16, 2006 1:15 PM