Updateable wpf application with nice user experience installation wizard RRS feed

• Question

• How can i use together:

ClickOnce - Updateable functionality
    +
    Windows installer - user friendly installation wizard.

Problem:
    We started develop app in .NET 3.5 SP1 using the newest Microsoft technologies (WPF 3.5 SP1, Prism2, EntLib,..) and controls(WPF DataGrid,Office Riibon..)
    When Microsoft released .NET Framework 4.0 and we see improvements of Client Profile, we migrate app to .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile.
    Now we want to use ClickOnce technology to update app.
    We want to distribute app from CD and also from internet.
    We want user friendly localized install experience.
    We haven’t much time and budget for it.(we can’t venture at custom development for updateable engine or buy 3th party tools).
    I spend hours googling throughout internet and searching for solution on custom install user experience for ClickOnce.
    Finally I find Client Profile Configuration Designer and we hope that we have a great solution, but CPCD is not compatible with .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile.
    Can you help with this task? Can you suggest or recommended best practice for it?
    Thank you for your reply.

Martin
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• First, no. You can't really combine these.

Second, you can create a custom installer for a ClickOnce application if you are targeting .NET 4.0 CP. Check out this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd997001(v=VS.100).aspx

Third, you can use programmatic updates instead of automatic updates, and pull them from the application after it starts running. For more information about this, check out this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404263(v=VS.100).aspx

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Proposed as answer by Kira Qian Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by RobinDotNet Monday, May 3, 2010 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi Robin,

Thanks for reply.

>>Custom Installer (first link)
    -expects .NET Framework 2.0, if client hasn't .NET Framework 2.0 setup fail(never start)

>>Programmatic updates (second link)
    -useful, thanks

We want install wizard like in Client Profile Configuration Designer Beta 3.5 SP1 that install all necessary requirements (windows installer, .NET Framework, ..) and has custom wizard (welcome, license, ..).

Can you suggest?

Martin.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Yeah, try a setup and deployment package. There is a little bit of this in .NET 3.5 SP-1, although it's not as usable or documented as what's in .NET 4.0. There's nothing available for .NET 2.0.

RobinDotNet

Monday, May 3, 2010 6:28 AM
  • First, no. You can't really combine these.

Then why is there an article on MSDN describing this actually works?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973805.aspx (check bottom of article)

Is this outdated?

Links are usefull tough, thanks.

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I haven't tried it, but please do and report back on whether it works or not.

I know some people use ClickOnce to install an installer which does the rest of the work. Two examples of this are Google (uses C/O to install Chrome) and GoToMeeting.

RobinDotNet

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:39 AM