WM Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Shall I use same .CAB file for Professional & Standard platform?  I came across a situation where I have to deliver only single deliverable(.CAB) for both platforms(Proff & standard). I will do this with some flag checking inside code & will not use any preprocessor tags. What will be the cons & prons of this approach. will it affect performance? What could be the other solution? I do not want separate deliveables for these platforms. 

Restriction is - Single deliverable for both platforms.

Please replay.

Thanks,
    AmitG
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You also have to bear in mind that some controls that are used on a touch screen can not be used on a non-touch screen such as buttons. Also navigation needs to be considered as non-touch screen devices make use of the hardward keys for navigation of menus.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, June 15, 2009 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Yes you can use the same .CAB file for the both the plateform however, it may affect the pereformance,size of the application.
    if u depoy your application on Statndard Platform(smartphone)  then the code related with Professional(PPC) is useless  that may affect the performance & this is vice-versa.

For single deliverable for both platform you can do one thing,

You need to create 2 separate .CAB file &  place them on your host server.

Make a utility application that will download your platform specific cab files.

The main roles of that utility are :

1. Detect the device type (i.e. Smartphone or Pocket PC)
    2. According to device type, utility will download the respective deliverable application CAB file hosted on server.
    3. After that utility install and launch your deliverable application.

Hope this will help.

Thanks Mohsin S.
    • Proposed as answer by Mohsin S Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, June 15, 2009 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi AmitG,

Actually you need not to use two CABs if you are not using any dependent API or controls. You can try the same CAB on both devices.

If you have any dependent APIs or controls, you can detect the device type in your code and disable the dependent controls or APIs in your code.

To detect the device:
    http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/archives/77

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:34 PM
  • That's a compromise you have to make. But I don't think the increase in size will be significant.

In addtion, the following webcast may help you on making the choice:
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Creating Adaptive Applications for Windows Mobile Devices (Level 300)   
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Dealing with Different Form Factors (Level 300) 
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

Yes you can use the same .CAB file for the both the plateform however, it may affect the pereformance,size of the application.
    if u depoy your application on Statndard Platform(smartphone)  then the code related with Professional(PPC) is useless  that may affect the performance & this is vice-versa.

For single deliverable for both platform you can do one thing,

You need to create 2 separate .CAB file &  place them on your host server.

Make a utility application that will download your platform specific cab files.

The main roles of that utility are :

1. Detect the device type (i.e. Smartphone or Pocket PC)
    2. According to device type, utility will download the respective deliverable application CAB file hosted on server.
    3. After that utility install and launch your deliverable application.

Hope this will help.

Thanks Mohsin S.
    • Proposed as answer by Mohsin S Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, June 15, 2009 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

You also have to bear in mind that some controls that are used on a touch screen can not be used on a non-touch screen such as buttons. Also navigation needs to be considered as non-touch screen devices make use of the hardward keys for navigation of menus.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hi AmitG,

Actually you need not to use two CABs if you are not using any dependent API or controls. You can try the same CAB on both devices.

If you have any dependent APIs or controls, you can detect the device type in your code and disable the dependent controls or APIs in your code.

To detect the device:
    http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/archives/77

Regards,
    Malleswar

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Thanks.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your replay. We will definetly take care for control support on both platforms. I am really interested to know about the effect on the performance. Will this approach create any performance problems? Also when we write touch functionality for PPC , that will be deployed as it is on smartphone which is actually not required. This all will increse exe size.  What do you think.

Please relay.
    Thanks,
    AmitG
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:49 PM
  • That's a compromise you have to make. But I don't think the increase in size will be significant.

In addtion, the following webcast may help you on making the choice:
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Creating Adaptive Applications for Windows Mobile Devices (Level 300)   
    MSDN Webcast: 24 Hours of Windows Mobile Application Development: Dealing with Different Form Factors (Level 300) 
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:51 AM