InfoPath 2007 with SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The new project requirement says that it would be a combination of InfoPath 2007 (browser based) & SharePoint 2010. With my minimal knowledge of InfoPath programming I have been coming across lots of issues. Mainly in terms of debugging the deployed application. 

Option 1 -   I choose to develop my application using VSTA (InfoPath 2007 broweser based to be deployed  SharePoint 2010)

I do not have any option to do "Attach Process".

Option 2 - Using InfoPath template available in Visual Studio 2008  (InfoPath 2007 broweser based to be deployed  SharePoint 2010)

Here I can not press F5 and run the application to debug the same. Neither the breakpoints are hit if I attach the process and try to debug it. 

I would like to get some help on deciding which is the best way going forward between the above mentioned two options.  Also how to enable debugging functionality. I would be accessing SharePoint (2010)  object model in the application.

Thanks in advance

-Ajay

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:06 AM

Answers

• OK, I've done InfoPath 2010 browser form that has to be compatible with InfoPath 2007 rich client.

Since you say it has to work with SharePoint 2010, I assume my situation is pretty close to yours.

Some tips:

1. Use InfoPath 2010 - set the compatibility to InfoPath 2007 browser form.  The 2010 designer is just way better than 2007.  But you do need to test once you are done in 2007.

2. You can't debug a browser form by attaching to the form server, but you can debug a rich form if you hit F5 Run in VS2008. This runs the form in the rich client, in preview mode.  But you can debug and test your code out.

3. Make sure you use the 2007 format for the data connections.

jliu - johnliu.net - sharepointgurus.net
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, November 18, 2011 7:03 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• OK, I've done InfoPath 2010 browser form that has to be compatible with InfoPath 2007 rich client.

Since you say it has to work with SharePoint 2010, I assume my situation is pretty close to yours.

Some tips:

1. Use InfoPath 2010 - set the compatibility to InfoPath 2007 browser form.  The 2010 designer is just way better than 2007.  But you do need to test once you are done in 2007.

2. You can't debug a browser form by attaching to the form server, but you can debug a rich form if you hit F5 Run in VS2008. This runs the form in the rich client, in preview mode.  But you can debug and test your code out.

3. Make sure you use the 2007 format for the data connections.

jliu - johnliu.net - sharepointgurus.net
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, November 18, 2011 7:03 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:47 PM
  •  

John,

Thanks for quick reply. Will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Best wishes

-Ajay

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:07 PM