knowing the phone model through my application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1509826454 posted
    i am making an application that does some mobile gis options for the user and i want to detect the fone model without asking the user to give me his data. can anyone help me in this?!
    Saturday, December 18, 2004 9:38 PM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted
    You can use Request.ServerVariables["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] header.
    Monday, December 20, 2004 2:50 AM
  • User-1509826454 posted
    does this function help in finiding out which mobile modle the user is using? i wanted to know if i can detect the model of the mobile fone of the user like some sites do. it tells u that for example u have a nokia 7650 mobile which is able to recive polytones and pictures....
    Monday, December 20, 2004 6:24 PM
  • User-95607119 posted
    You have to check the user-agent header that device sends out. By example, Nokia sends headers like Nokia6250/1.0 (this one is for 6250), Siemens send headers like SIE-SL45/3.1 UP/4.1.19i (this one is for Siemens SL-45). If you don't want to use MS devices support then you have to build up your own. It doesn't matter what kind of a detection framework you use - you must always provide visitors with option to select manually their device model. As new devices come out every month you can never be sure that you have support for device that current visitor uses. To find out unknown devices it is useful if you save all request headers when session starts. I found a lot of good information I have using request headers.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2004 3:56 AM
  • User-1509826454 posted
    thx, u really cleared things up for me but the is only one question plz howa can i deal with these user-agent header using an asp.net mobile application and from where can i get the user-agent header for various mobile devices?? thx in advance
    Thursday, December 23, 2004 10:02 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    You have to check out what device what header sends. Usually each manufacturer has special pattern for its devices. So, you can use regular expressions to detect what is the model of device. ASP.NET also uses regular expressions to detect device by user agent header if I'm correct. If you want a list of headers then I suggest you to check out open-source project called WURLF. You can find it at http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/. Besides headers you can find there a lot of other information about devices and their capabilities. It's the best source for basic information I have found this far. For more specific issues you should read devices technical specifications published by manufacturers.
    Thursday, December 23, 2004 6:49 PM