Shared application data folder in a Visual Studio setup project RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .NET 3.5 winforms application that uses a SQL Server CE database. This database contains information shared by multiple users. The application itself handles user management.

I need to put the .sdf file into a location where any user on the machine has both read and write access. This needs to work for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

The program files folder does not work (users do not have write access), and neither does an individual user's application data folder (only one user has access).

I believe such folders exist in all three OS's (eg, on XP, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data), but I cannot figure out how to tell a visual studio setup project to use this folder. If I try to add a new special folder to the file system part of the setup project, I can see several options (common files folder, program files folder, user's personal data folder) but none of these have the property I need, being that all users on the machine have read and write access.

Is there some undocumented location specifier (like [ProgramFilesFolder], only obviously not that one) that will tell the installer to output the .sdf to a special folder which is readable and writable for all users? I say undocumented, because the visual studio help system doesn't seem to suggest one in the "Special Folders and Custom Folders" topic.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:34 PM

All replies

• I have this problem as well - did you ever find a solution?
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:16 PM