Sum of Measures RRS feed

• Question

• I have 9 measures for one of my PowerPivot tables. Each of these measures calculates the total of the investment a certain company made in one of the 9 advertisement channels. I would also like to have the total investment that company made, so I would need to Sum these measures.

However, simply trying 'Total:= Measure1 + Measure2 + ...' gives me the error: "Semantic Error: The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns can not be converted to a scalar value".

Any ideas?

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:04 AM

Answers

• I think that the next step would be to try it on our own. Is there any way that you could share a sample of your data model?

I have no clue of what's going on behind the scenes but, in theory, the 

Total:= [Measure1] + [Measure2] 

should work

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I have tried a sample data and this kind of measure is working fine for me. BTW , could you put your formula as

Best Regards Sorna

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Maybe I should've included my measures. Here's one of them, the other are fairly similar, but just contain other row from other tables, while still having the same data type.

Radio:=CALCULATE(SUM(Radio[RadioInvestment]); ALL(Radio[MDBID]); FILTER(VALUES(Campaigns[MDBID]); COUNTROWS(RelatedTable('Adverteerder-Campagne')) > 0))

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:48 AM
  • it seems like one of your measures is giving you a table instead of giving you just one value (scalar value)

Try this:

1. Add all of the measures to your current pivot table with all the slicers, column & row headers that you may need
    2. if one of them breaks the pivot table, you've found the reason why it doesn't work

Hope this helps

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:21 AM
  • These are all the measures that I want to Sum, all just giving a value

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:33 AM
  • In theory, you shouldn't have any issues, but some measures just don't interact well together in a pivot table. Did you get any errors when you added all of them to a single pivot table?

They might all be giving you numeric values, but - will they blend? *that's the enigma*

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Nope, adding all of them to a single pivot table will give me the exact same numbers as in the picture above (when no filters are present of course)
    Monday, June 2, 2014 10:52 AM
  • I think that the next step would be to try it on our own. Is there any way that you could share a sample of your data model?

I have no clue of what's going on behind the scenes but, in theory, the 

should work

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:26 AM