none
Installing Office 2007 Interop on TFS Build Agent RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently investigating upgrading to TFS 2012, and configuring automated builds.  I'm having trouble installing the Office 2007 PIA on the build agent.  The build agent is installed on a windows server 2012 VM.

When I try to install the 2007 PIA redistributable, it gives me an error message that I need to have Office 2007 installed before installing the PIA. 

However, this is a 2012 Build Agent, office won't be used in a traditional sense on this machine.  It will only be used to build our office addin project. 

I've already tried to Orca the launch condition in the o2007pia.msi, but orca does not save the resulting msi correctly, and it does not install.

Is there a way to install the 2007 on our build agent without installing Offce (and requiring another office license?  Do I need an office license for each build agent?)

Thanks

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Oh, this project uses the Office 2007 PIA because that's what it was originally designed on.  This is currently built manually on machines with Office, and we're investigating the viability of installing and configuring a more extensive TFS 2012 environment
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:49 AM
  • foe sole buliding purpises you can reference 2007 PIA dlls locally, copying it along with sources to build.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:57 AM
  • that means copying the referenced DLL's and their dependencies into a library or reference folder and updating my references.  That's starting to sound like DLL Hell :/ I'll give it a go

I have to do it this way, because copy local on the reference won't work, and I won't be able to fish out GAC references, will I? 

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:30 PM
  • you have to do this because of tfs build agent - he has to find dlls somewhere and will be looking at path hints from your csproj. sure you can place them manually in GAC on build machine but it creates snowflake machine - where unique state is made to make it work.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:48 PM
  • I ended up installing office on the server, which is sub optimal, but is gonna save me from having to reconfigure all of the primary and secondary dependencies on the office interop dlls.

The problem I'm facing now is that I can't get the latest version of the Office 2007 PIA on there. 

On the development machine, in my GAC, I have a reference to Microsoft.Office.Interop.PowerPoint with the version 12.0.6600.1000.  On the build agent machine, which I have only just installed the Office 2007 PIA from the microsoft website, and gives me a file version of 12.0.4518.1014 for the same file.

I know it's dependant on the newer version because I've looked into the DLL and we depend on an enumeration value that is there in the later version, but absent in the previous. 

Where do I get the latest version of the Office 2007 PIA?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:21 PM
  • try to install latest SP3 for office 2007
    • Marked as answer by Jono Lee Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:34 AM
  • we have SP2 deployed, but close enough!
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:08 PM