none
EW 4 error message Visual Studio Team System 2010 Team Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have recently tried to clean up my hard disk and evidently deleted something I shouldn't have.

Now, when i load EW 4 I get the error: To work on a solution under TFS source control, you must install Visual Studio Team System 2010 Explorer.

Unfortunatley i cannot interpret this message. Can anyone tell me where the correct microsoft support area is or even better what i need to do to remove the message.

Bonus points if anyone knows what it means and whether i even need to worry about it.

Many thanks - Mark

Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you have somehow turned on source control beyond that I'm clueless.
    Expression Web Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Expression Web forums
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Cheryl. I have looked at source control under the file menu but it is greyed out. Presumably someone on the EW dev team knows what the message means, I get it every time i load EW (4). I spent almost an hour yesterday trying to find some MS support and someone to ask, but to no avail. Do you have any pointers?

Cheers - Mark

Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Using source control requiries Team Syustem Explorer as the erropr message suggests. Did you have that on your system and did that get uninstalled? If so, you could try installing it again to see if it removes the error.
    Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Presumably someone on the EW dev team knows what the message means,

Possibly, not that that means anything in the current context. This isn't the dev team, nor even Microsoft, but a social forum where users come together to help others. We did have some dev team folks coming around regularly for a number of months, following the release of the disastrous EW 3.0 (think DOS 4.0, if you go back that far), but they've been scarce now for about six months. I wouldn't hold my breath awaiting a dev team response here (which will probably mean that someone from the team will respond today, just to mess me up. ;-).

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:13 PM
  • As Scott said this is a "social" forum (just look at the url) to reach the dev team you need to file a bug on Connect: http://connect.microsoft.com and look for the Expression Studio feedback group. There you will be able to select Expression Web as the product to file your bug against.

If you are using Vista or Win 7 I'd suggest that you try rolling back your system to prior to your clean-up attempt since clearly something was removed that shouldn't have been and it sounds like it has to do with TFS.

Expression Web Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Expression Web forums
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:09 PM
  • This is just a SWAG but you might be able to download (free) Visaul Studio Express and see if either the file or control is in that installation.  No logic just a guess.

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:55 PM