Move Managed disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I can see that you now can select a managed disk to move to another subscription (managed disk was earlier on the list of unmoveables resources). However, trying to do so gives error 'This subscription is not registered to use Microsoft.Compute/ManagedResourcesMove feature.'

Is this a feature that can be enabled for a subscription? I have a  Visual Studio Enterprise – MPN subscription

Monday, August 6, 2018 5:06 PM

All replies

• If you haven’t registered, register the “Microsoft.Compute” feature with subscription and re-try the operation:

Path to register:

Home>Subscriptions>Select your subscription>Resource providers:

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:19 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above response helped to answer your query. Let us know if there are still any additional issues we can help with.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am also getting this issue when trying to migrate Virtual Machines using managed disks.

I can confirm the the Microsoft.compute resource provider is showing as registered in the Azure portal.

I have tried unregistering and registering again with no resolution. I am still getting the following error when trying to move it:

{

"code": "ResourceMoveProviderValidationFailed",
    "message": "Resource move validation failed. Please see details. Diagnostic information: timestamp '20181003T133039Z', subscription id '0f577e34-0559-42d3-bed3-311b415eddd1', tracking id '80e1f9df-03a7-4cf7-b797-14cce89cf6c8', request correlation id '6937c336-53c7-49d6-9bf1-367bcd75e7ca'.",
    "details": [
    {
    "target": "Microsoft.Compute/disks",
    "message": "{\"error\":{\"code\":\"BadRequest\",\"message\":\"This subscription is not registered to use Microsoft.Compute/ManagedResourcesMove feature.\"}}"
    },
    {
    "target": "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines",
    "message": "{\"error\":{\"code\":\"BadRequest\",\"message\":\"Operation 'move' is not supported on Resource 'JasonVM' with managed disks.\"}}"
    }
    ]
    }

I have found that using the following powershell command "Get-AzureRmProviderFeature -ListAvailable" shows that the resource provider is actually not registered.

Even after issuing the following command "Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.Compute" and waiting overnight the above state does not change.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Hi Vikrant,

I have a Managed disk and I wanted to migrate it to another subscription in different AD tenant. I'm unable to transfer using portal nor using powershell.

Ive to copy the vhd of managed disk to storage account as unmanaged disk. This is the only option. Can you suggest anything which can help? 

Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Hi Vikrant,

Firstly you need to transfer your subscription to other AAD Tenant. and make sure that you added both subscription to same tenant. then you follow below script to register the component from Azure PowerShell.

Run below script on destination subscription.

Login-AzureRmAccount
    Get-AzureRmSubscription
    #Select Your Subscription
    Select-AzureRmSubscription -SubscriptionId 'Your Subscription ID'

# To register your Provider-Namespace
    Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.Compute

# Check your Provider-Namespace
    get-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.Compute

#Register the managed Disk Feature
    Register-AzureRmProviderFeature -FeatureName ManagedResourcesmove -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.Compute

# Check your registration status. Normally take some time.
    Get-AzureRmProviderFeature -FeatureName ManagedResourcesmove -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.Compute

Now you can start moving your manged VM from one subscription to other subscription.

• Proposed as answer by JaseOne1337 Friday, October 5, 2018 2:55 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 1:10 PM
  • Thank you!

Your code has got this working for me.

Friday, October 5, 2018 2:55 PM