Dropping/Not responding to Requests RRS feed

• Question

• User1509363267 posted
    Under certain conditions, I simply wish to drop / not send a response to some POSTs/GETS and allow the sender/requestor to simply timeout waiting for a response. In short, I wish to act as the system wasn't there for that Request. ANyone know how to do this?
    Saturday, May 15, 2004 7:46 AM

All replies

• User-751653828 posted
    Without affecting performance: no. With: yes. Rather just send a HTTP 504 error as the response.
    Sunday, May 16, 2004 9:12 AM
  • User56548034 posted
    I would suggest that you create an HTTP module that would check for these special cases and display an error or something. Using timeout as an exception indicator is not necessarily a good practice. If a module is too much work, you could create a RequestValidator class (or something like that) with a static method to check the HttpContext to see if the request is valid or an error should be displayed.
    Monday, May 24, 2004 5:00 PM
  • User1509363267 posted
    Well, that was very pretentious of you. I can bypass the normall processing stream but I would like my victums, violaters, to be undesirably affected. But, it appears that the only way is to short-circuit the pathway is to return an error, and let it go at that. Thks anyway, G.,
    Wednesday, May 26, 2004 4:05 PM
  • User56548034 posted
    Well, if you're just referring to someone hacking away at your system trying to bypass normal processing, then a timeout isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'd be nice to have the system "degrade gracefully," but that depends on how important that truly is - in most cases, for a user that's trying to get around the system, this is a very low priority. I thought that you were talking about timing out for certain circumstances that may happen through normal use of the system. That would be an odd practice IMHO. I don't mean to be pretentious. Sorry. I'm always that straight-forward. Something I've always tried to get over, but it never works ;-)
    Wednesday, May 26, 2004 10:58 PM
  • User1509363267 posted
    No worries ..
    Thursday, May 27, 2004 4:47 AM