none
Is Kinect able to detect whether the Foot is Abnormal or Not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am trying to investigate whether the Kinect is able to detect the foot abnormalities. For say, if a patient having some abnormalities in Right leg stands front of Kinect, then kinect should have ability to find that foot is normal or abnormal.

Can Kinect detects such difference?

Thanks!

Ashish Narnoli

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:25 PM

Answers

• To use Kinect for this purpose will entail a pretty significant investment in data analysis and machine learning.  While Kinect will return the body (skeleton) and body index (user mask), you will need to perform the analysis to determine the state of the body part (ex: foot).

It is important to note that if Kinect's view of the user is occluded by objects, animals or other people, you may not get the expected data.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:35 PM

All replies

• The SDK can track people's skeletons and return you joint positions and rotations.

But of course it's up to you to interpret that data and define what you label as normal and abnormal in code.

Brekel

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:06 PM
  • To use Kinect for this purpose will entail a pretty significant investment in data analysis and machine learning.  While Kinect will return the body (skeleton) and body index (user mask), you will need to perform the analysis to determine the state of the body part (ex: foot).

It is important to note that if Kinect's view of the user is occluded by objects, animals or other people, you may not get the expected data.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:35 PM
  • Thanks David!

I am thinking of superimposing of a normal skeleton over the user's skeleton. Will it work?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Thanks Brekel!

I thought about if I could find the exact rotation of a joint then probably I can get what I desire. Working to find the exact rotation of a normal joint then will compare with abnormal joint. Is it correct?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:47 AM
  • Sure you can check if the measured rotation falls within a valid range to determine if it's correct in your book.

Keep in mind that as David mentioned you can also get incorrect angles if the body parts can't be seen correctly so put some thought in making sure your sensor sees what it needs and experiment with this.

Brekel

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 7:20 AM
  • Thanks again Brekel!

Seems Kinect is not much feasible to detect abnormalities.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:22 AM