none
Problems with .NET 3.5 and .NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Visual C# 2008 Express and .NET Framework 3.5 in a system which already has Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0.

I then attempted to install a component suite of a third party company. I got the following error

System File Not Found: Regasm.exe

I checked the installation folder and I was able to see the above file.

I then uninstalled .NET Framework 3.5 and I was able to install the component suite without any issues

How can I change the target version from 3.5 to 2.0 in Windows XP.

Regards,

Anand Narayanaswamy

Microsoft MVP

Author - Community Server Quickly

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hello, Anand.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with .NET, so I'll start at the beginning.

"How can I change the target version from 3.5 to 2.0 in Windows XP"

There is no target .NET version in an OS. .NET applications are built to target a specific .NET version. In VS 2005, there is only one .NET version available, 2.0. In VS 2008, things changed and for the first time, a VS version could target different .NET versions in different projects (namely 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5). In VS 2008 and newer, the target framework dropdown is found in the project properties dialog in the Application or Build tab depending on project type and language.

As you have removed .NET 3.5, you may find that your VC# 2008 Express will no longer run.

As far as the third party component suite is concerned, you would need to share details of that suite to get useful suggestions. At this point, I can only suggest that you contact the publisher about your issue.

Last (but not least), I see that your XP system does not have SP3 installed. I suggest you install SP3 and subsequent updates.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:24 PM