Phone appears to hang on OEM boot screen when rebooting after the update to Mango (7661) RRS feed

• Question

• Cause:
    Under investigation by Microsoft and OEMs.

What to do:
    What to do seems to vary depending on which device you have. From feedback on this thread, it seems that the two most common devices are the

Samsung Focus: In all reported cases so far, the phone eventually did boot successfully to main OS, although reports of the "hang" time vary from 5 minutes to 2 hours.

LG Quantum: Reports so far seem to have the some Quantums eventually boot successfully, while others require a little additional help. Folks on this thread have either restored back to their backup and tried again (some with success) or performed a 'cold boot' (which resets the device, deleting all local data) to allow 7661 to boot up successfully, but losing their data. If you are stuck at the boot screen for more than a couple hours on an LG Quantum, you can remove and replace the battery (to power down the phone) do one of the following:
    - To go into restore mode: Press the power buttom (to boot up the device) and the camera button at the same time. This should put you in 'disaster recovery' mode, and you can use Zune to restore back to your backup
    - To 'cold boot' the device: Press the power buttom (to boot up the device) and the vol up + vol down + camera button all at the same time. You'll then be prompted if you want to format your device. After the format, your device will boot up into 'Mango' 7661 as if you were booting up the phone for the first time.

If your phone still is on the OEM boot screen after 2 hours, go to the App Hub and log in to your developer account. Under the support tab open a support request(https://windowsphone.create.msdn.com/support?redirectToUrl=%2FApp) – select “Technical Exception” from the drop down menu. Include all the details at the bottom of these FAQs (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpmango/thread/8e8f0e69-808f-4303-a3f8-71473bbb8669/)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• US AT&T LG Quantum

My case: Been a few hours in the boot screen. Tried all the usual remove, reset the battery and others, long after Zune gave up.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Deleted
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Same here. Just did a hard reset. Will try to restore the phone tomorrow.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Same here Nikita - submitted a technical exception and waiting on a reply.  All was progressing well right up to the last reboot after the Mango beta update/flash.  Wish there was a way to restore the back up I have three copies of!

Rich
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:05 AM
  • There is a known issue to happens on some LG Quantum's where the device sits at the OEM boot screen forever on final reboot.  To get out of this situation you can either:

1. Hold down the camera button while the device boots.  This will put your phone in disaster recovery mode.  You can then plug it into your PC, launch Zune, and you should be presented with an option to restore to your backup. This will return your device to Nodo.
    2. Format the device.  This will wipe all your users data and the phone will boot into the Mango first boot experience.  Your phone will be running the Mango OS.  To bring up the format screen on an LG Quantum, you need to hold down the vol up + vol down + camera + power buttons all at the same time as the device powers on. This will leave your device at Mango.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Samsung Focus.Took about 10 minutes to boot and then everything was fine.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Mine just hung after updating to mango at the "resetting phone" stage. Waited an hour or so (was playing black ops with friends at the time) and it rebooted, then sat for a while, then rebooted, sat for a while and then booted up completely.

My advice, wait a couple hours!
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:52 AM
  • are we talking about step 8 of 9 in zune where it says rebooting phone and the phone screen is at 'samsung' and it hangs? That is my problem.. samsung focus...

i guess ill just try rebooting the phone and hoping it works now... or else starting all over again..
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Before you decided it was HUNG did ZUNE throw an error with a failed page or did you just decide it was hung on your own? Mine sat for 40-50 minutes in the "Samsung" Screen to finally boot to the OS and actually rebooted and done it a couple more times during the install. Total time for my Samsung Focus to update just on the Mango Update was around 1.5-2 Hours. If ZUNE has not thrown any errors you SHOULD have not touched the handset.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:58 PM
  • LET THE PHONE SIT! It will most likely eventually boot to the OS (Possibly can take over an hour!)

If the phone appears to be HUNG but zune has not reported any issues DO NOT TOUCH THE HANDSET LET IT SIT it is NOT HUNG!! Mine took 2.5 Hours to JUST UPDATE WITH THE MANGO FIRMWARE. (Samsung Focus)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:03 PM
  • This is my problem on the LG Quantum.  It's been at the "LG" screen for over 2.5 hours.

So there's no way to get to Mango Beta2 with this phone unless I wipe it?  If I wipe it, is it possible to recover the apps I had installed?  How? 

Dave 
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Seems like the Samsungs will generally boot and just take a long time, which does not appear to be the case for the LG Quantums.

I've heard one report of a successful update of a Quantum and many reports of failure at exactly the same point in the installation (Step 8 of 9: Restarting your phone..., when installing 7661). My Quantum also failed (submitted support req ~24 hours ago and just got the "we're investigating; check out this forum in the interim" email). I was able to recover it with the camera button reset trick. I've tried again and it's failed again. I'm not going to let it sit for 5+ hours like I did last time - the PC doesn't even recognize that a device is connected. I'm going to give it one more try on a different system, but I won't be holding my breath. I'm hoping we'll hear more soon about the Quantum.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Well I let it sit for over 4 hours until the battery died on my second attempt to get Mango installed. I did see one success for a Quantum and am waiting to hear from them about their experience.  Waiting to hear from the App Hub folks as well to see what they have to say.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Another quantum success. Details (and some questions/suggestions) in tweets.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Are there real suggestions in your tweet stream, 'cause I didn't see any. could you summarize them here.

My LG hung and I ended up doing the format phone and starting from scratch.  The cool thing is that - other than installed apps, configuring the phone (yahoo, gmail, outlook, office online, colors, main screen organization, etc.) took me about 1/2 hour total and 1/2 hour for all my contacts and emails to sync.  That's super fast for a full reset.  The only problem is reinstalling apps that I had.  Too bad Zune, while offering a list of app purchases, doesn't offer me a "reinstall this app" option. 

D
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Another quantum success. Details (and some questions/suggestions) in tweets.

My LG quantum got stuck on step 8 of 9, after 2 hours I cold booted the phone and it has a fresh copy of mango installed - going to try to restore then install again i guess
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Could be a firmware revision issue for the Quantum. I'm on 1.1.3.11 as is someone else for whom it hasn't worked. So far, the one person who's gotten it working who I've heard from had 1.0.3.10. Though someone else who has it working is with AT&T (same as me) and I'd be surprised if there were different firmware revs for the same carrier. But I haven't heard back from him yet on his firmware rev number.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 3:38 PM
  • I've tried with my Samsung Focus on two different computers now, and in both cases it hangs at the "Samsung" screen after the first reboot when running the MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.exe file. I've let it run for more than an hour in both cases and it never comes back alive. The tool has timed out by that point anyway. Submitting the support ticket they just told me to search here while they investigate (which i had already done anyway). Frustrating.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Seems like it's not the firmware. Next best guess now is that it was something in 7392, which was pushed out the same day as the Mango beta. But after three tries, I'm done until I get further news on it from the support folks (who emailed me letting me know that they're looking into it and will update as they know more).
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I got mine to work finally - I went back to my backup and restored it, then updated to the newest 7392. Then I ran the mango update and voila phone took 5-10 minutes to reboot after step 8 of 9 and voila mango up and running with all my files.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I am also in the same state. I tried for 4 times in the last two days and I actually left the phone overnight with the PC to finish, but when I checked in the morning the battery got totally drained out. I am also waiting for Microsoft to respond. Hopefully they will resolve it sooner. I am also using LG Quantum.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I also tried for 4 times and left the phone two overnights with Zune Sync. Got stuck at step 8 of 9 (restarting the phone) and the battery got drained out totally. But interestingly I noticed after showing the phone battery out screen for few minutes, this goes to LG Screen for few hours and comes back to battery empty screen and then after an hour or so goes back to LG Screen and so on.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:53 PM
  • How did you cold boot?  Is that the contortionist button pushing (both volume buttons, camera and power)?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Our team develops on three phones: an LG Quantum, HTC Surround and Samsung Focus.  The LG experienced this problem and never recovered from step 8 of 9 (restarting the phone).  I waited overnight, approximately 12 hours and it eventually showed the low battery screen (even though it was plugged in USB and untouched, guess it does not trickle charge during this process.)

Important to note, the phone was extremely HOT, directly below the camera on the back.    The cold boot allowed me to reboot the phone to a 'new' state with Mango.  
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:07 PM
  • @Stabile Company LLC
    >>Important to note, the phone was extremely HOT, directly below the camera on the back. The cold boot allowed me to reboot the phone to a 'new' state with Mango.
    How did you cold boot? I tried booting the phone with Power+Camera+Volume buttons, but it was asking me to zune sync and as soon as I zune sync it goes to restore? I also have experienced the same with LG SCreen with low battery and hot phone leaving it overnight at step 8 of 9 for more than 10 hours tree times. I really appreciate if you could tell us how did you do that cold booting.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:34 PM
  • The hotspot on the back would be the battery from cycling from use and to changing.  Just to confirm your comment - a cold boot on the LG Quantum brought up Mango fresh (like out of the box experience when buying retail)?

I could never get a cold boot screen to come up but I saw someone typed that you muts push the middle of the volume button, camera and power all at once.  I have tried in the past to press both volume buttons.  So will likely try this again tonight with a full battery charge and then try the cold boot one last time.

Thankful for good backups.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:19 PM
  • I followed procedure #2 quoted from MenterSoft- Microsoft from the first page of this message thread.

Format the device.  This will wipe all your users data and the phone will boot into the first boot experience.  Your phone will be running the Mango OS.  To bring up the format screen on an LG Quantum, you need to hold down the vol up + vol down + camera + power buttons all at the same time as the device powers on.

This made the screen appear black with COLD BOOT.    The device came up as a clean Mango OS.    One of my testers is using it now.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Thanks - about to try this once again.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Just wanted to update and say it worked!  After about 10 mins on the LG screen I disconnected from the PC and did a Cold Boot.  I am now setting up the phone with mango beta on it!  Thanks for the advice and direction everyone!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Our team develops on three phones: an LG Quantum, HTC Surround and Samsung Focus.  The LG experienced this problem and never recovered from step 8 of 9 (restarting the phone).  I waited overnight, approximately 12 hours and it eventually showed the low battery screen (even though it was plugged in USB and untouched, guess it does not trickle charge during this process.)

Important to note, the phone was extremely HOT, directly below the camera on the back.    The cold boot allowed me to reboot the phone to a 'new' state with Mango.  

This looks like a very relevant point... the device was a bit warm here after the update, but it's quite cold in Sydney at the moment. Possibly others succeeding are in cool environments and those failing are letting their device get hot beyond operating limits.

The benchmarking tests which I documented on my blog also caused quite a bit of heat generation.

I was able to effectively circumvent this by simply leaving a room fan directed at the device while these tests ran for as long as 36 hours.

Those having lock up issues during the Mango beta 2 update might like to try this.

I note here people have also posted the "hardware settings reset" (refered to as cold boot by some) has also allowed people to boot into Mango after such an 8of9 lockup also.

I would encourage people not to let there devices get hot over spec though to avoid potential damage.

Cliff, if this is what's going on (devices overheating), I'd recommend getting this into your instructions very clearly to help people avoid potential damage to hardware, particularly in hot environments.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 6:12 AM
  • I think they mean "cold boot" in the sense of resetting it, but on the off chance that temperature is a factor, I'll be giving this a try with the phone kept cold just to see. Will report back if it works!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Agreed Mike... the cold boot some are referring to is a hardware method of using Settings | About | Reset... which simply wipes settings, leaving the current OS version intact. I note some people recently have done this with succes AFTER experiencing a lockup.

If devices are getting extremely hot (as noted above) I'm urged to get that word out on the premise there could be damage caused by too many repeat attempts. It would be icing on the cake if it also solves the problem for people without being forced to wipe their data using a Hardware Reset.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 6:25 AM
  • No dice on the cold phone - my phone never actually got hot before though (just warm). Kept it on a bag of crushed ice so it was quite cold.

The four button cold boot did the trick (when you do this successfully, the screen says "COLD BOOT" at which point you can let go of all the buttons and watch it come to life with Mango (and all the initial setup stuff, too, of course)). I'll play around with it some but likely restore until I need to do testing; setting up all of my accounts again to keep it around is too much effort. I hope they find some alternate resolution in the interim. It'd be fun to keep Mango for a week, but redownloading everything I use and setting up all my accounts, alarms, etc., again is just too much effort. But Mango is glorious. I'm really looking forward to its official release!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Interesting.. thanks for confirming Mike.

At the very least, if some people's devices are getting abnormally hot I wold recommend taking some measures to keep them cool just for the device's safety.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Well I spent the better part of the time after midnight setting up my phone in its new Mango state but am very pleased and impressed with what I am seeing so far.  Must say thanks once again to everyone for the dialog across here and on Twitter.  Third time attempting the upgrade was the charm.

So a quick question - is everyone getting their phones with Mango on them with all their apps intact on a normal upgrade or are they also starting from scratch like I did?

Thanks.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:41 AM
  • I've had time to migrate one app so far and addressed two breaking changes. I'll check if these are documented and if not give feedback. Some others I'll get to hopefully before I head out of Sydney for a few weeks.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 12:01 PM
  • So a quick question - is everyone getting their phones with Mango on them with all their apps intact on a normal upgrade or are they also starting from scratch like I did?

Except for the LG hang that requires cold boot, my understanding is that everything remains on your phone (including accounts, settings, etc.). Changes you make on the phone are lost on revert (unless the data for the app/game is stored in the cloud, of course), but the normal process should keep everything intact.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:02 PM
  • So a quick question - is everyone getting their phones with Mango on them with all their apps intact on a normal upgrade or are they also starting from scratch like I did?

Except for the LG hang that requires cold boot, my understanding is that everything remains on your phone (including accounts, settings, etc.). Changes you make on the phone are lost on revert (unless the data for the app/game is stored in the cloud, of course), but the normal process should keep everything intact.

That is correct - My LG Quantum was hanging up and I did a cold boot (press vol+- and camera button then bootup) and it loaded mango after it got hung on step 8 of 9. What I did was I restored using my backup. Updated to the 73xx regular non Mango update. Then attempted the Mango update again and this time it went to step 8 of 9, rebooted and voila
    Mango was installed with all my files, settings, apps etc, no need to cold boot.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Hi folks,

Quick note that I updated the root note on this thread to reflect experiences and feedback in the thread. Let me know if I mis-characterized anything.

Also, OmegaXPC: is it fair to say that your while your first attempt at updating your phone hung on 'step 8 of 9', while the second attempt (after restoring to your backup - no additional changes) did not hang on 'step 8 of 9'?

Thanks all (particularly John)!
    Cliff
    Monday, July 4, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Hi folks,

Quick note that I updated the root note on this thread to reflect experiences and feedback in the thread. Let me know if I mis-characterized anything.

Also, OmegaXPC: is it fair to say that your while your first attempt at updating your phone hung on 'step 8 of 9', while the second attempt (after restoring to your backup - no additional changes) did not hang on 'step 8 of 9'?

Thanks all (particularly John)!
    Cliff

Actually here was my step by step into getting Mango to work

7/1/11 Attempted to update directly to Mango, failed on step 8 of 9.
    Did a cold boot and it loaded mango but none of my files
    7/2/11 Loaded my backup, then updated to 7.0.7392.0
    After the update I tried to load mango again.
    This time mango completely upgrade without issues and did not hang at step 8 of 9. Just took about 5 minutes to "Restart"
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Just to save some people some time, the problem with LG Quantums getting hung on boot in now well understood by Microsoft and we are evaluating a potential fix.  The nature of the problem means that if someone experiences this hang, they will almost always experience the problem.  Because of slight variations in boot timing, it is conceivable you might be successful on a retry, but the odds are slim.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Just to save some people some time, the problem with LG Quantums getting hung on boot in now well understood by Microsoft and we are evaluating a potential fix.  The nature of the problem means that if someone experiences this hang, they will almost always experience the problem.  Because of slight variations in boot timing, it is conceivable you might be successful on a retry, but the odds are slim.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!
    Friday, July 8, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Any news on this issue in relation to the Samsung Omnia 7? I have tried the upgrade a number of times and every time I get the hang on first boot of mango issue. Will there be a further beta release that resolves these issues?
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:35 PM
  • That is great to hear and glad you all have sorted out the issue.  Looking forward to seeing the fix and giving it a try.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Samsung Omnia 7: I did not watch the clock, but it took a aloot of time to reboot. Luckily I was not aware of the problems and this thread... At first it got stucked for about 30 minutes displaying the booting screen, then it rebooted again and I got a black screen for about 10-15 minutes. After that it rebooted a third time and there it was: mango :) nice job between!
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Any news on this issue in relation to the Samsung Omnia 7? I have tried the upgrade a number of times and every time I get the hang on first boot of mango issue. Will there be a further beta release that resolves these issues?

Just to be clear, if your hang is associated with step 6, then you are hitting a different issue.  That issue is covered in the KB located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2547687
    Friday, July 15, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I could update fine to Mango but for 2 weeks now my phone would spontaneously hang and then reboot. Now it isn't rebooting anymore and hangs on the OEM boot screen. And furthermore I am unable to perform a cold reboot because of the reboots... Has someone an idea of what to do?

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:05 PM