Package and Visual Studio versions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Let's say I have developped a package using VS2010 SDK and I would like to publish it, should I name it "MyPackage for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010" or only "MyPackage" ?
    Will I have to release another package for VS2012 or will the VS2010 is going to work ?
    When one is using VS2010 or VS2012 and browses the online extensions, do you only displayed package for the same version or both version ?
    I just want to understand what is the best approach to name my extension.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:14 AM

Answers

• If by publish you mean upload to the VS gallery then there is no need to say in the title what version it is for as the vsixmanifest has information on what versions you support.  When users browse via a web browser they can restrict the results to whatever version they want and the extension manager itself automatically restricts displayed extensions to the version of VS it is running in.

You can, if you want, mention in the text description of the extension what VS version(s) it supports, but it is not entirely necessary since the common values displayed for the extension has a line like this (which is figured out from the vsixmanifest):

SUPPORTS: Visual Studio 2012, 2010

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• If by publish you mean upload to the VS gallery then there is no need to say in the title what version it is for as the vsixmanifest has information on what versions you support.  When users browse via a web browser they can restrict the results to whatever version they want and the extension manager itself automatically restricts displayed extensions to the version of VS it is running in.

You can, if you want, mention in the text description of the extension what VS version(s) it supports, but it is not entirely necessary since the common values displayed for the extension has a line like this (which is figured out from the vsixmanifest):

SUPPORTS: Visual Studio 2012, 2010

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I marked Ryan's reply as answer.

Please unmark it, if it is not the answer.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:15 AM