none
Detecting Credential Errors in V8? RRS feed

• Question

• On the WPF side of things there's an event that raises when there's an error with credentials. We are actually getting errors with the process somewhat frequently* and I would like to know if they are happening on our web-based maps as well. I see no similar event for the web page side, though. Is there some way to tell if users have that 'you need to get a key' message showing?

* I say frequently - it's probably around 1% of the time but, every time one happens to any user, I get an email about it so it sure seems frequent to me!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:44 PM

Answers

• There is no event for this in V8. You could run some code to check the DOM to see if that message is displayed if you want. That said, if you are seeing this message then your account likely is either being rate limited (too many requests in a short period of time), or nearing or exceeding the free terms of use. In either case, you likely will need to get a Bing Maps license otherwise your account may be shut down unexpectedly. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zloth X Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 PM

All replies

• There is no event for this in V8. You could run some code to check the DOM to see if that message is displayed if you want. That said, if you are seeing this message then your account likely is either being rate limited (too many requests in a short period of time), or nearing or exceeding the free terms of use. In either case, you likely will need to get a Bing Maps license otherwise your account may be shut down unexpectedly. 

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zloth X Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Yeah, that might be a good way to go.  Thanks!

I'm not at all sure what the base issue is but it's been happing to us for several years now.  We've got a proper license already.  I would certainly like to see the issue fixed but I only see it on my own machine once every month or two.  Tracking it down would be rough.

Thing is - I've yet to see the issue on the web based side of things and nobody has called to complain.  If there's no issue on the web side but there is on the WPF side, that would be an important clue.  I would like to try to put in a little code to check that.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:18 PM
  • It's possible that a network issue occurred somewhere with the authentication call, but these are rare. Usually it is a firewall issue, but then that would make the issue appear 100% of the time.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:15 PM