Unable to create PivotChart from build in function in PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create Pivot chart from the ribbon in Power Pivot, but receive the following message:

Unable to get the PivotTable property of the Range class
    ============================
    Call Stack:
    ============================
    Server stack trace:
    Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Addin.GeminiRibbon.InsertPivot(String connectionString, String cubeName, MultiObjectsReportType reportType)

I tried to do it with the file which I downloaded from tutorial on MS site "ContosoSales", if has access database which I downloaded in PowerPivot and it worked with this file, but does not work with any PowerPivot files I create myself which linked to excel file as I do not have any database software on my computer. I can create a Pivot chart manually linking it from Excel sheet to Pivot table but wanted it to be working when i need quickly create dashboard with several charts.

Thanks

Natalia

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Natalia,

I would like to collect more information to troubleshoot this issue. Please help to collect the following information:

• What're the versions of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel and SQL Server?
    • What's the underlying data source for your PowerPivot data model.
    • Is this issue only occured for you?

Currently, please refer to the following actions to deal with this issue:

• Please try to reinstall PowerPivot for Excel to see if this helps. If so, please install the latest PowerPivot version.
    • We can design a small PowerPivot data model to perform a test to reproduce this issue. Please let us know the result.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Monday, January 27, 2014 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:52 AM