HTTP Handler Class generated by Framework against each .aspx page RRS feed

• Question

• User908433271 posted

Hi,

As per as my understanding,following is the flow of ASP.NET Application Life Cycle:
    1)User accesses for a page say Test.aspx.
    2)Http.sys sends the request to the relevant application domanin.
    3)W3P.exe loads isapi.dll.
    4)Httpruntime executes ProcessRequest. 
    5)HttpContext set to HttpApplication object.
    6)Request passes through httpmodules. It passes through all the classes which had implemented different eventhandler for the HttpApplication events.
      Here,I have following question:
      a) Httpmodule classes are used only for implementing event handlers for HttpApplication object's events?

7)Request hits corresponding Httphander class for the page at the end of the HttpPipeline and the ProcessRequest method of the class is executed.
     Here, I have following questions:
     a) Where in the framework the HttpHandler class resides? When it is destroyed?
     b) There is an initial stage in the page life cycle when all the HTML elements and controls of the page coverted to a class(c# or vb.net) which is derived from the page class or the class mentioned in the .cs file. Is this the expected HttpHandler class about which I have questioned above or another class is created? Otherwise, is this the first step that is executed in the ProcessRequest method?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

ronit_rc

Monday, November 7, 2011 12:42 AM

All replies

• User706172871 posted

ASP.NET maps HTTP requests to HTTP handlers based on a file name extension. Each HTTP handler can process individual HTTP URLs or groups of URL extensions in an application. ASP.NET includes several built-in HTTP handlers, as listed in the following table.

Handler

Description

ASP.NET page handler (*.aspx)

The default HTTP handler for all ASP.NET pages.

Web service handler (*.asmx)

The default HTTP handler for Web service pages created as .asmx files in ASP.NET.

Generic Web handler (*.ashx)

The default HTTP handler for all Web handlers that do not have a UI and that include the @ WebHandler directive.

Trace handler (trace.axd)

A handler that displays current page trace information. For details, see How to: View ASP.NET Trace Information with the Trace Viewer.

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:30 AM
  • User908433271 posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Still I have following questions:

1) What is the name of the default HTTP handler class for all ASP.NET pages?

2) Does HTTP modules only handle HttpApplication object's events or it has some other responsibilites as well?

regards

ronit_rc

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:06 AM