none
what is the major difference beteen client side object model and server side object model? RRS feed

• Question

• i am getting confuse client side object model and server side obbject model. please explain me detail and also when will go for client side object model and when will go for server side object model what is the advantage by using client side object model.

SWAPNA
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

• The server side object model is used to write code that leverages and extends the features of the SharePoint platform. It is by far the most complete API and allows for the most options and customisations. Code must execute on a server that has SharePoint Foundation 2010 or SharePoint Server 2010 installed.

The client side OM is used to write code that runs on computers where SharePoint is not installed. Code can be written that runs in browsers (JavaScript), managed .NET client applications or Silverlight applications. It is essentially a wrapper on web service calls into the server side OM and as such is more restricted in what you can do.

I recommend you take a look at the following MSDN article: 

Deciding Which SharePoint 2010 API to Use - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh313619.aspx

Ceej
    www.3guysonsharepoint.com
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:35 AM