none
RASPBERRY PI TOUCH DISPLAY and Windows 10

Answers

All replies

• Hi Lisa,

we've tested it, and the touch screen doesn't work currently. Hoping to get it working in future releases of the OS updates

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:54 AM
  • The DSI video connector that this display uses does not (yet) have a video driver for it on IoT.

Only HDMI video output is supported at present.

Touch does not seem to be available from anyone though (except the 'official MS screen

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SupportedInterfaces.htm).

• Proposed as answer by riclh Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:55 AM
    • Edited by riclh Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:55 AM
  • Does it currently work as a display then? I'd assumed that as it used the DSI port that nothing would be working.

Anyway, it sounds like there are some issues with it even running Linux.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:31 AM
  • I tried it yesterday, but couldn't get any response. Neither the touch screen nor the display are working.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Any ETA at this time ?
    Saturday, September 19, 2015 3:52 PM
  • Same here... with Raspian it is working properly. When switching to Windows the screen keeps black.
    Sunday, September 20, 2015 5:03 PM
  • I, too, would very much like an ETA on drivers for the display, please. I have a somewhat big project on hold until the touch functionality has been brought to Windows IOT. I got the official display under the reasoning of it probably being among the first to be supported. I didn't do my research before buying - not that it matters since no touch screens are really supported yet.

I am praying and hoping for support in Windows IOT soon as I am terrified of having to turn to Raspbian and Python  (I already have network handlers, etc. written in C# that I'd have to rewrite) >.<

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:10 AM
  • No luck yet,

Windows IoT core was released for Raspberry Pi 2 , but half the hardware is not supported even in the board itself.

They do not see this as important now as they are rolling out Windows 10 (Desktop) updates as hell but there is no money in IoT as it is free so you will have to wait a very long time before any update will come to IoT.

That is why you should focus on linux distro's atm as they have a community behind it as the source is open you will see a new device supported in a few day after launch.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see MS update this puppy so I can develop in C# on Windows but realisticly it will be in a year or so as Windows 10 (Desktop) issues are mostly resolved.

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:59 AM
  • From @stevetex on Twitter: "The RPi touch screen is definitely on our backlog but is still likely a few months out."

That's probably as accurate as you're going to get.

Friday, September 25, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Don't get me wrong I'd love to see MS update this puppy so I can develop in C# on Windows but realisticly it will be in a year or so as Windows 10 (Desktop) issues are mostly resolved.

The release of 10531 build of Windows 10 Core IoT is a year early then?

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-releases-windows-10-iot-core-build-10531/

riclh

Saturday, October 03, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Release 10556 is out now and for the first time the screen is actually working! Progress, yay! Now just to wait for the touch functionality to work ;)
    Monday, October 19, 2015 6:44 AM
  • @ReqPro Just to confirm, that's the official 7" Raspberry Pi Touch Display (that connects via the DSI port) you've got working as a display.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Nevermind - I can see from another post that the official touch display does indeed work as display only on build 10556.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:04 AM
    • Edited by riclh Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:35 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply - glad you got confirmation elsewhere :)
    Monday, October 26, 2015 2:43 PM
  • in the official touch screen display for the Raspberry Pi2, the touch not work with Windows 10 iot but the display is work.

I use official touch screen for Raspberry pi2 with Windows 10 iot and I use a mouse as the touch does not work

Thursday, December 03, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Awww 10586 out and still no touch support :( So much for Santa Claus being real! :P
    Thursday, December 03, 2015 6:25 PM
  • So much waiting for touch support (with the official 7" screen)... so many projects enabled with that feature and leads waiting for it!

I hope it's a hot priority dev for ms.

Friday, December 04, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Right now, Official RPi2 LCD works but not touch functionality.

I'm working on it and got partial success. But there is an issue, after 15-20 iteration (data retrieved from I2C touch controller) suddenly Windows IoT becomes irresponsive and I must need to restart it by unplugging the RPi2.

Not sure what is wrong with my code or the device.

Will update here if I got success.

- AnuragVasanwala

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Right now, Official RPi2 LCD works but not touch functionality.

I'm working on it and got partial success. But there is an issue, after 15-20 iteration (data retrieved from I2C touch controller) suddenly Windows IoT becomes irresponsive and I must need to restart it by unplugging the RPi2.

Not sure what is wrong with my code or the device.

Will update here if I got success.

- AnuragVasanwala

Great news :)
    Monday, December 14, 2015 10:24 PM
  • I have the same Problem with IC2  (Build 10586)

Interestingly it worked without problems the first 10-15 times after I ran my code... now I the I2C won't work stable anymore, even if I try an older build (where it worked the first time) of my app. (I Also tryed a fresh install of Win IoT)

AnuragVasanwala do you have made any success yet?

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:44 AM
  • No, I'm also unable to get it work. I'm also facing the same problem. It only works 10-15 times then it stops responding.

Then I showed it to my hardware lab. They told me:
    Conclusion for Official RPi Touchscreen with RPi2 (Windows IoT):
    + Touch controller of the display is connected on RPi2's another I2C bus (may be I2C0) via DSI cable.
    + I2C0 is not available for user programming (OS can access it but then we need to modify OS which is a bit complex and not a feasible solution)
    + GPIO provided on display board (which comes with display) are useless for RPi2 as it will create conflict with internal I2C0.
    + Finally, we have to wait for its official driver by Windows IoT team.

In advance, they told me that when I connect SCL and SDA of the touchscreen display board to RPi2's GPIO pin (I2C1), I also accidentally connected I2C1 to RPi2's I2C0 line. RPi2 have separate I2C communication line (I2C0) which is used to communicate with Display board and Camera. So there might be signal some conflict and so we didn't got result after 10-15 iteration.

So we have to wait for the official support.

- AnuragVasanwala

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:47 AM
  • We used LCD panels from Chalkboard Electronics with Windows 10 IoT on RasPi2, they were working well, both LCD and touchscreen. No additional drivers were required, true plug and play. 

Here is video from them to show functionality: https://youtu.be/pZ579usettQ
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Indeed, some manufacturers are working well to get their hardware into 10 IoT. Unfortunately the Raspberry Foundation are not working on Windows drivers for the Pi. That will all be down to MS.

riclh

• Edited by riclh Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:30 PM
  • I can't get the display itself to work.  And I'm not a complete idiot.  Any idea what I could be doing wrong?  What's your config.txt look like?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:11 PM
  • Unfortunately the v1.1 of the screen hardware is no longer compatible with the DSI display driver that MS added to Win 10 IOT build 10556.

There are a couple of forum posts around that talk about this problem. Currently I haven't seen a solution. Have a look at:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3636e77f-4eb0-46ee-91e0-156b839ac1c6/official-pi-800480-screen-v11-2015?forum=WindowsIoT

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=131573

Cheers,
    Alex

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:42 PM
  • The version 10586 the video driver is not working as it can be read from the release notes. When can we have it? because  although a video runs, the performance is too affected by running it. Please try to fix it as soon as posible.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Any news on this driver yet??? IoT Core is very well suited for my project but I took touch support as a given and have now hit a roadblock because of this. Really dont want to move to linux and have to start from scratch!!!! Microsoft do we have an ETA please?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:08 PM
  • Please see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3636e77f-4eb0-46ee-91e0-156b839ac1c6/official-pi-800480-screen-v11-2015?forum=WindowsIoT.

The latest image available through Windows Insiders supports the RPi v 1.1 display

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:28 PM
  • I have now tried the latest 14626 build and with this config.txt both touch and display are working perfectly.  I have no idea if these config.txt values are required. In case they are, I added...

hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6
    hdmi_group=2                # Use VESA Display Mode Timing over CEA
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_drive=2

Sunday, February 21, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Yesterday I tried out the Insider Preview with the RPi v1.0 Display.

Both, Display and Touch-Function works.

I don't have to set any options so I think it works automatically.

The only setting in the config.txt I changed is
    lcd_rotate=2
    This works to rotate Display including Touch-Function.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 9:53 AM
  • I just tried out 14262 as well - I also had to set "lcd_rotate=2" in "config.txt" (changing the display orientation via the web interface has no effect) - works perfectly otherwise.
    Saturday, March 05, 2016 4:44 AM
  • Hello, 

Anyone has try the last insider Windows 10 IOT release ? 

It seems it makes the official display to work. 

Info in this post

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi there,

I've seen various videos and articles of people using the official Raspberry Pi touchscreen with Windows 10 IoT.  I can't get it to turn on though, but it works with Rasbian so at least I know it's not broken.

Im using the latest version of Windows 10 IoT (I think, installed via the dashboard).

This is the touch screen...

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/graphics-display-development-kits/8997466/?origin=PSF_431023|acc

Nick.

Somewhere out there...

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 11:49 AM
  • So turns out the version installed by the dashboard is build 10586, I want 14263 which can be downloaded from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot

Somewhere out there...

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 11:59 AM
  • wow this thread is getting old and still no answer.

I'm just trying on insiders build 16193 on my RPi 3 and still even though screen works, the touch interface doesn't.
    Does anyone have any response to this? are the MS Devs still working to fix the issue? or it's ignored and won't be fixed?

Oh and my screen is connected through GPIO and HDMI, just as an FYI, so if anyone knows a workaround it would be nice, and the whole lcd_rotate=2 did nothing for me, my screen already worked and touch still failing.

Thanks!

https://jimi.mx

Monday, June 12, 2017 11:48 PM
  • @Raul GD

wow this thread is getting old and still no answer.

this thread handled the v1.0/1.1 Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display (connected trough DSI port) and is solved since build 14262 more than a year ago...

Oh and my screen is connected through GPIO and HDMI+

what manufacturer is your display ?
    have you asked him about Windows IoT Core support?

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:43 AM
  • The touch function doesn't work on background screen of IoT . When I tried to deploy an app from Visuall Studio , none of controls work as expected. I tried to change the attribute 'Click' of button ( par ex ) from Release to Press , it works but for another controls such as combo box , list box , no measure applicable .
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:43 AM
  • @Nktuan63 your are using the Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display connected through DSI port?

what do you mean with "background screen of IoT" ?

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:49 AM