none
Disapearing macros RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We run Excel 2007 Recently my macros have gone missing. I used them within the past 3 weeks just fine, and went to use the analysis toolpack and there was nothing in the list. I then went into the  Execel options and it listed them as active. I then went to AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART and there were no available macros to even choose from. They just all seemed to vanish from the program. What might cause this, is there any of preventing it from happening again, are there any solutions, or do I have to reinstall the software?

Thank very you for your insights.

Mark

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:02 PM

Answers

• If someone opened the file and saved it as 'XLSX' the Macros will be stripped out.  I hope you have a backup somewhere.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

• Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Mark:

There are two places you can store macros:

(1) Your personal workbook... Personal.xlsb
    (2) Inside an xlsm macro-enabled workbook

As ryguy72 pointed out, if a macro-enabled workbook is saved as an xlsx workbook, all macros are deleted.

It's possible that your Personal.xlsb workbook was deleted.

It is also possible to delete macros in your Personal.xlsb project from the Visual Basic for Application Environment (VBE).

Another possibility is that you had a catastrophic event that took it out.  As ruguy72 pointed out, this is the reason i back up my files constantly during the day.  Sometimes the only cure is a good backup.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:18 AM

All replies

• If someone opened the file and saved it as 'XLSX' the Macros will be stripped out.  I hope you have a backup somewhere.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Mark:

There are two places you can store macros:

(1) Your personal workbook... Personal.xlsb
    (2) Inside an xlsm macro-enabled workbook

As ryguy72 pointed out, if a macro-enabled workbook is saved as an xlsx workbook, all macros are deleted.

It's possible that your Personal.xlsb workbook was deleted.

It is also possible to delete macros in your Personal.xlsb project from the Visual Basic for Application Environment (VBE).

Another possibility is that you had a catastrophic event that took it out.  As ruguy72 pointed out, this is the reason i back up my files constantly during the day.  Sometimes the only cure is a good backup.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:18 AM