none
Roaming proccess fails because windows doesn't reply to first EAPOL while driver performs roaming RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing new Win-8 driver for Wi-Fi card.

Once the station side driver identifies disconnection because AP is not available, it initiates roaming process.

Some times the roaming proccess fails, since windows in the station side does not reply to the first EAPOL in the 4-way handshake.

May you please explain why this may happen? And how can I solve this issue?

I found that if the association with an AP is started within 5 sec interval, then windos in the station will reply to 1st EAPOL message and the roaming will succeed, else there is no reply to the 1st EAPOL message and the roaming proccesss will fail.

Thanks

Nael

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:38 PM

Answers

• Windows expects the roaming proccess to be completed 10 Seconds after sending roaming start indication, then it will send OID_DOT11_RESET_REQUEST.

In my case, the EAPOL was sent to Windows after it sends reset request to driver and thats why the 1st EAPOL packet is not being replied.

Thanks

Nael

• Marked as answer by Nael Masalha Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:51 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:51 AM

All replies

• Please collect logs:

netsh trace start wireless_dbg globallevel=0xff cap=yes

<<repro>>

netsh trace stop

Send .cab & .etl file

Thanks,

Tony

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Windows expects the roaming proccess to be completed 10 Seconds after sending roaming start indication, then it will send OID_DOT11_RESET_REQUEST.

In my case, the EAPOL was sent to Windows after it sends reset request to driver and thats why the 1st EAPOL packet is not being replied.

Thanks

Nael

• Marked as answer by Nael Masalha Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:51 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:51 AM