Audio problem

Question

•  

There is a red cross against my loudspeaker icon and when I hover the pointer over it, the message 'The audio service is not running' appears.

I have used services.msc to access the services list and tried to start the audio service and received the message 'Windows could not start Windows Audio service on local computer - Error 1722: The RPC server is unavailable'

The RPC server is started
    The Multimedia class scheduler is started

I tried to start the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service and received the following message 'Windows could not start Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service on local computer - Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start'

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• jimbernice2003,

Have you checked to see if your audio drivers been installed correctly? You can check in Device Manager.  Here are the steps to open Device Manager.

1. Press both Windows key + Pause/Break keys at the same time.
    2. In System Properties, click on Device Manager on left side.
    3. Check to see if your Audio device in Other Devices or in Sound, video and game controllers with a yellow exclamation point on any of those devices.

If you do have yellow exclamation point on any of those devices, you need to download the audio drivers from your computer manufacturer or run Windows Update from Control Panel to see if it pick up your missing drivers.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Hmmm... audiosrv failing to start with error 1722...

Can you tell more about how you installed Windows 8?  Was this an upgrade from Windows XP, for example?

Matthew van Eerde
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:22 PM