Simple Power BI Task Using Power Pivot & Power Query from Excel Add Ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having OLTP data Source from SQL Server DataBase.

By Accessing OLTP DataBase, I have to Import 4 Tables like (FactIncident, DimIncident,DimTime,DimLocation).

I have to create the Report & have to design Chart. 

To achieve this I can use - Power Query,Power Pivot from Excel.

Please help me out of this.

Thanks in advance.

SUPRAJA'S

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:35 AM

Answers

• Hi SUPRAJA'S

According to your description, you want to know if the modifications you made in Excel will affect the SSAS database. Right?

In Analysis Services, it just provide the data for retrieval. Excel is just the rendering tool to SSAS database. When you open a connection to SSAS data source, it will retreve all data out of SSAS database. So if you make any changes in Excel. It has no effect on the source data.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, May 24, 2015 3:47 PM
  • I am looking for that , Power Pivot + MS Excel will replace the SSIS & SSAS Tools.

Hello,

Yes and no. SSIS + SSAS are server based, centralized (enterprise) solutions and can be accessed from all clients in a company, while Power Query + Power Pivot are client solutions; you can share the files to other colleagues, but every client has to process & calculated the data.

With PQ + PP you can do nearly do the same as with SSIS + SSAS, but some (Enterprise) features are missing, e.g. permissions

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The mainly use of Power Query is to Import data to MS Excel, e.g. for further use in Power Pivot. And yes, with Power Pivot + MS Excel you can create (interactive) report incl. charts.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

will it replaces the SSAS in all the ways.

Thanks.

SUPRAJA'S

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:25 AM
  • Hi SUPRAJA'S

According to your description, you want to know if the modifications you made in Excel will affect the SSAS database. Right?

In Analysis Services, it just provide the data for retrieval. Excel is just the rendering tool to SSAS database. When you open a connection to SSAS data source, it will retreve all data out of SSAS database. So if you make any changes in Excel. It has no effect on the source data.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, May 24, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for your answer.

I am looking for that , Power Pivot + MS Excel will replace the SSIS & SSAS Tools.

Means, What type of work i can do using SSIS & SSAS (Including All type of work - Like Craeting Guage KPIs, creation of SNOW FLAKE SCHEMA relation B/W the tables, how we are giving in SSIS), all those type of work i can do using Power Pivot + MS Excel.

Thanks,

SUPRAJA'S

Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:55 PM
  • I am looking for that , Power Pivot + MS Excel will replace the SSIS & SSAS Tools.

Hello,

Yes and no. SSIS + SSAS are server based, centralized (enterprise) solutions and can be accessed from all clients in a company, while Power Query + Power Pivot are client solutions; you can share the files to other colleagues, but every client has to process & calculated the data.

With PQ + PP you can do nearly do the same as with SSIS + SSAS, but some (Enterprise) features are missing, e.g. permissions

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Hi Simon,

If we Ignore about Permissions concept.. Then, is it equall to PQ & PP?

Thanks,

SUPRAJA'S

Monday, June 1, 2015 2:03 PM
  • We could say, with these tools the server and the Client based solutions are very similar.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, June 1, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for being with me to help out of this.

Thanks,

SUPRAJA'S

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:24 AM