Racing Game Tutorial RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    A little time is past since the beta of XNA is been released. So, can someone write me a little 3D or 2D racing game tutorial? Please! I think that all of us want to know how to build a racing game with XNA don't you?
    Sunday, September 10, 2006 3:46 PM

Answers

• Your request is far too advanced and specific enough for a forum. To write an entire game, or the guts of it is a huge task.

Programming is a skill that requires a lot of practise. Before you write a racing game, write pong, write pacman, write a simple 3d game. Then try to write the racing game and when you get stuck ask in a forum a specific question about what you are stuck on. Forums are not really here to provide thousands of lines of code if you are too lazy to even try something yourself first.

If you buy Tom Millers second Managed DirectX book it has the beginnings of a racing game (and the MDX code shoulnd't be too hard to translate) and there is also Developing Driving and Racing games by Jim Parker (which I have no read so cannot tel you how good it is).

Monday, September 11, 2006 2:19 AM

All replies

• I would be interested as well, especially the 3D version.  But, you will have to give it time before anyone will be making those type of things.
    2D racing games could easily be done, but making 3D racing games is something quite big to do!
    In time the community will make the components to easily construct 3D racing games.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 4:12 PM
  • This is true. I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't see anything like that until after the beta is over, even.
    Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:48 PM
  • Your request is far too advanced and specific enough for a forum. To write an entire game, or the guts of it is a huge task.

Programming is a skill that requires a lot of practise. Before you write a racing game, write pong, write pacman, write a simple 3d game. Then try to write the racing game and when you get stuck ask in a forum a specific question about what you are stuck on. Forums are not really here to provide thousands of lines of code if you are too lazy to even try something yourself first.

If you buy Tom Millers second Managed DirectX book it has the beginnings of a racing game (and the MDX code shoulnd't be too hard to translate) and there is also Developing Driving and Racing games by Jim Parker (which I have no read so cannot tel you how good it is).

Monday, September 11, 2006 2:19 AM
  • And also, I note you already asked this question last week (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=689242). Repeating the same questions for the most part will get the same answers. At least find your old thread and add additional information to it.
    Monday, September 11, 2006 2:22 AM
  • I have wrote a 3d pong, an arcanoid and games like this...i'm not lazy as you think. I just don't know how to create a racing game. Thats all. I'm not that kind of person...by the way, thanks for the books you suggested me.
    Monday, September 11, 2006 8:59 AM
  •  

One way to start is to think of a top down game like the old style lemans car game from the atari system.... Then look at scrolling background examples and moving sprites...

That should get you started..

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:39 AM
  • So try to ask a more specific question. What is it in moving from arkanoid to a racing game do you not get? Is it moving in 3d - is it the physics - the collisions - reflection maps on the cars? Start with a 2d racing game like super sprint (you can evern use 3d models in 2d like we did in space wars) and then move on to 3d.

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:23 PM
  •  The ZMan wrote:
    ... like super sprint ...

lol ... I remember that game ... lot of fun.
    Friday, September 15, 2006 7:11 PM