Expression Web is being phased out. RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that Expression Web is (was) aimed at 'Designers' rather than 'Coders' and that he opposite is true for Visual Studio.

Now that Microsoft are phasing out Expression Web (there will be no more updates), will the 'Design' features of EW be incorporated into VS?

Can anyone recommend an alternative to EW that is suitable for 'Designers' rather than 'Developers'.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• "... an alternative to EW that is suitable for 'Designers' rather than 'Developers'."

Dreamweaver is, in my opinion, the only other professional web _design_ application, but it will not be my choice.  I will stay with EW4 for several years.

The code view (for web pages) in Visual Studio 2012 is superior to that in Expression Web, but the design pane is definitely lacking. Microsoft has said that some features from EW will be
    incorporated into VS in the future (whenever that is) - but what will be moved (and when) and what will be omitted is still anybody's guess.

If you search, there are several threads already on this topic.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Although the VS design pane is lacking (and so is the one in EW), some features in VS2012 are now better than EW. The CSS, HTML and JavaScript intellisense for instance now includes vendor specific parameters, the Aria states and properties, plus other improvements. If you add the 'Web Essentials' extension ( http://vswebessentials.com/ ) it becomes even better. Sadly this isn't available for Visual Web Developer Express.

The one area where is falls down (for many EW users) is that it doesn't allow the creation of DWTs or the insertion of 'include' pages, although it does support both of these if already present on a page.

[As a side note I don't regard EW as a design tool. It's a web editor, a layout tool, a front-end development tool, but not a design tool. You really 'design' a site's look and feel with pencil and paper or using a graphics editor. You then convert that visual design into a template or web page using something like EW, or VS, or Dreamweaver. Semantics maybe but an important concept because EW and Visual Studio are both web development tools, not design tools per se].

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:07 PM
  • There is a basic flaw in "design view" editing and is doesn't matter if it is EW or DW.

The problem can be demonstrated by starting with a well designed html page, which is given to a novice designer for revision, who edits the page for a while in design view, which results in a page that is hopelessly broken. Then, the novice designer blames the software provider. 

In a production environment there really is no short cut to mastery of html and css but (judging by many of the posts on this forum) the expectations of many purchasers of EW is different.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:11 PM