none
Built in SQL Azure Backup Support

Answers

• Daniel and others,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the interest.  I can confirm that a physical restore feature is definitely in-flight.  We are working on making this feature generally available as soon as possible, but we need ensure the feature is backed by uncompromising quality infrastructure at Azure scale.  After all, this is the solution which ensures you can recover your data!

We are currently delivering several key infrastructure and platform improvements which, among many other benefits, enable native restores at scale in the near future.  Please keep an eye out for updates here in the forums or on the official blogs for announcements.

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

It would be a really nice feature! 

As an alternative you could use the SQL Azure Data Sync service and schedule a one way sync to another Azure or On-Premise database.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

Thanks the idea, but I think everyone's holding out for proper built in backups.  All the other stop gap measures such as syncing to a local server, or using the COPY DATABASE command along with exporting to a DACPAC, all end up increasing costs.

The feature previewed in the following TechEd demo (about 38 mins into the video) is pretty much exactly what's needed, so it's clear the team have been listening to all the feedback:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2011/DBI313

However, it's been over 16 months (!) since it was previewed, so I was really just looking to see how the feature was coming along, and whether there might be a possibility of it appearing on the portal any time soon.

-Dan

• Edited by Daniel Smith Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:43 PM
  • I also won't substitute Data Sync as a backup solution.

For one, it doesnt sync schemas and when you let the service provision the target database, it doesnt provision a full fidelity schema: you dont get the stored procs, views, etc...

moreover, you also incur the penalty of the triggers updating the tracking tables plus increasing your storage usage because of the tracking metadata that needs to be stored.

in the absence of a full backup support, i would rather go COPY DATABASE, Import/Export Service or third party tools.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Daniel and others,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the interest.  I can confirm that a physical restore feature is definitely in-flight.  We are working on making this feature generally available as soon as possible, but we need ensure the feature is backed by uncompromising quality infrastructure at Azure scale.  After all, this is the solution which ensures you can recover your data!

We are currently delivering several key infrastructure and platform improvements which, among many other benefits, enable native restores at scale in the near future.  Please keep an eye out for updates here in the forums or on the official blogs for announcements.

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Thanks for the update Adrian, that's fantastic news that the backup feature is still being actively worked on.

I know backups aren't the most exciting feature for the team to work on, but for those of us managing databases in Azure, a robust and reliable backup/restore experience is absolutely essential.

Is there any possibility that someone on the team could update the suggestion on UserVoice with an official response?  Even if it's just a sentence or two to let people know it's still being worked on, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Sunday, October 7, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Feature requests for Azure SQL backup services:

• Blob storage to save backups
    • Schedule how often backups should be done
    • Easy point & click to revert to a backup or revert it to another/new database
    • Retention policies
      - keep for max of 10 days, or 10 backups, etc ..
      - Or keep one pr hour for 7 days, 1 pr day 1 month and 1 pr month other than that policy (would be awesome)

Any ETA on the backup feature? For most it's the final piece missing.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:14 PM