Connectivity Issue of Management Studio on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Although I searched on google and tried several solutions and links but none of them is working for me.

I have SQL Server 2005 Standard installed on Windows 2003 server and have a vista workstation which is having SQL Server developer edition 2005.

Although my application is able to connect to server without any issues from Vista machine but no matter what I try, netiher I'm able to connect from Management Studio nor I'm able to connect from Server Explorer of Visual Studio 2008.

This is a very very frustrating problem and is delaying my development as just to access server, i have to switch machines. Windows XP machine is having no issues in connecting through visual studio or through management studio.

Pls somebody help me on this.

• Moved by Mangal Pardeshi Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:56 AM authentication issue (Moved from SQL Server Tools General to SQL Server Security)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• What error you are getting?

While starting Management studio on Vista try - right click on management studio icon and "Run As administrator"

Mangal Pardeshi
    SQL With Mangal
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Situation is same whether run normally or as administrator. When I use windows authentication i get following error msg. 

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to MyServer\MyInstance.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18452&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

When I use Sa password, i get following error.

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to MyServer\MyInstance.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'sa'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Monday, March 23, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Can you see the failed login in the SQL Server log?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi Vinod,

As suggested by Zekske, Server log will help solving your problem.  Also if you can share Event Logs.

Regarding errors :

• Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18452 for Windows Authentication suggest it is not a valid login.  Can you check on server for the same, if User on Vista machine have rights to connect to Server.   Just a guess, you "may be" logged in as a local user on Vista and not with domain account.
    • Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456 - is something to do with password.  To make a comment on it server logs will be helpful, as it depend on what state number you are getting.

Mangal Pardeshi
    SQL With Mangal
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Due to time difference, there is a delay in posting reply and I'm sorry for that. Appreciate your help on this matter.

I checked it and found that sa login was disabled after enabling it, its working now. So half problem is solved.

Regarding windows authentication, it is correct that i'm logged in with local account but for Myserver, i have stored the domain password in Password stores in User account and that domain account is of administrator group so it should allow windows authentication (same scenario is working on xp).

Yes, the sql server log is showing failed entries in log. There are 4 entries in log which are pasted below :-

SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. [CLIENT: 192.168.0.6]

Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. [CLIENT: 192.168.0.6]

Kindly advise your comments.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Further to my previous msg, can you pls help me in solving this issue with windows authentication also. I have already provided all the required details.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:15 AM
  • The SSPI handshake can be caused by your account having to many group member ships.
    Check the number of groups your account is in, it's possible that your security token is truncated giving the handshake error.

Regards.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:06 PM
  • It is currently member of 5 groups

1. Domain Admins
    2. Domain Users
    3. Mobile Users
    4. Remote Web WorkPlace Users
    5. OurCompany Group..

Kindly advise your comments.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Have you tried to follow the steps in the following article?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811889

Regards

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:51 AM