none
Please Help: I need to sell LINQ to SQL to our DBAs RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are meeting with our DBAs very soon to discuss the concept of LINQ to SQL.  We are a large enterprise environment and historically we've been using stored procs, with schema-based security assigned to roles.  We need to sell them on the two following topics:

1.  Security

2.  Performance

The only parts about security I've been able to find are regarding SQL injection.  Can anyone else help here?

Thanks,

Charles Sustek

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:44 PM

All replies

• In my opinion, you are having the conversation with the wrong group of people.

You need to work with your application architecture group and have them understand and embrace the use of LINQ either with or without stored procedures.

I personally don't see why a DBA would be motivated to endorse LINQ as a replacement to stored procedures.  If you are using parameterized SQL and/or some well managed wrapper to work with your stored procedure, then at best the security issue is moot and you will never win a performance argument.

Rather than this approach, you should work with your application architecture group and showcase the developer productivity gains that might be realized by the use of LINQ.  If you can demonstrate increased developer productivity or reduced support and maintenance costs then your architecture and business communities can "chat" with the DBAs.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:28 PM