Silverlight Sketchflow unreliable - project not running, no error message during build, white screen in browser. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have started three projects in Sketchflow already, rebuilding everytime what I have done before in order to get it working in the browser (its a small wireframe prototype to share with developers). Every time I get stuck at a point, when the project simply fails to open in the browser. There is no error message during the build, nothing I would know to have changed wrongly (I am not writing any code, just using Expression Blend 4), the browser simply loads Silverlight but neither the player (the grey player for previewing), nor the application loads. I have created only one screen, before Expression kills the project for me. It contains 4 buttons, where I edited the copy of a template, one radio button, where I changed the template too, in order to let it look like a toggle. All in Sketchflow look. 

If I disable the reference to my custom resource library created within the projects scope, I can get the player to load, however the application still does not show up. (see screenshot)

http://i44.tinypic.com/muj4zk.jpg

There is absolutely no way for me to say what is going wrong,

I decided to abandon Expression Blend for this project and stick to static mockuping... too bad, but it has already wasted a full day of my work time, unacceptable for any kind of professional software. If anyone has a similar problem, let me know.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:55 PM

All replies

• I would try to debug it in Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.  That should tell you what is going on.

You can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express

Once you get it installed, open your project in Blend.  Right-Click the xaml file in your "Projects" tab and select edit in Visual Studio.  Or you could just open the project up in Visual Studio Web Developer.  Select "Start Debugging" or F5 once you have it open.  Then check your "Error List".  Hopefully that should tell you exactly what the problem is.

~Christine

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Also, assuming you are opening the SL app in IE, there may be an error icon down in the lower left that can tell you what the runtime error is. Otherwise, open it in VS and determine what error/exception is causing the load to fail.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:38 PM