Dual Boot Windows 8 and XP

Question

• I've installed Windows 8 on an older laptop of mine which I previously kept partitioned to Windows XP and Windows 7.

To install Windows 8, I formatted the Windows 7 half of the disk and installed Windows 8 in to its partition. Once the install was completed, on the boot menu is listed 'Windows Developer Preview' and 'Windows 7'. Attempting to select the Windows 7 option though results in the system switching to the old boot manager.. but then throwing an error that it can't find the old system (of course).

Attempting to use the bcdedit.exe tool, I can see that an entry for 'Earlier versions of Windows' (aka, XP) still exists, but its not showing up in the boot menu. Is there any way I can fix this to regain access to XP?

Nidonocu C:\>
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you able to boot into Windows 7. If so, you could use EasyBCD to add an entry for Windows XP then try booting into it:

EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies would be your answer, it provides a graphical front end to the BCDEdit Command line that makes it easy for you to define start-up settings and edit boot entries on the new Windows Longhorn Server/Vista boot manager. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:10 AM
  • I was in a similar case except i created a third partition for Windows 8.

Same as you, in the Windows 8 " graphical boot manager" it only shows Windows 8 and Windows 7. As i could boot back into Windows 7, i did so and put Windows 7 there to be loaded as default os. I now have the old boot manager which propose me Windows 8, 7 and xp.

So it would seem that the new boot manager simply can't see the  'Earlier versions of Windows' entry for some reason.

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:51 PM
  • But what if you are only dual booting Windows 8 and Windows XP?
    Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Maybe use a third party boot manager ?

The only reason it's not working is because Windows 8 can't see it for some reason (hopefully that'll be corrected).

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I saw this situation too.  I was multibooting Windows XP, Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS).  I installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview over the Vista partition (formatting and replacing it, not an upgrade) and on my next reboot I got a new GUI mode choice between Windows Developer Preview and Windows Vista.

I then downloaded the free version of EasyBCD version 2.1 and it showed that my old set of choices were still there, though "Windows XP" had been renamed back to "Earlier version of Windows".  I configured the BCD options in EasyBCD the way I wanted them, and now I'm back to the old (desired) text mode OS selection menu with "Windows XP", "Windows 8 Developer Preview" and "Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS)".  All three choices do what they are supposed to do.

It may be that the Windows 8 Developer Preview has introduced a new BCD loader and that EasyBCD clobbered it, but since I can get to all three operating systems it gets the job done for me for now.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Maybe use a third party boot manager ?

The only reason it's not working is because Windows 8 can't see it for some reason (hopefully that'll be corrected).

This is the same for me: I can see Win7 and Win8 but not WinXP in the new graphical boot manager... which is a pity (and/or a bug)!
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced/Startup and Recovery. Change the default OS to XP.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Well done! Thanks for that, I was quietly going nuts trying to figure that one out.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:29 PM
  • The Windows 8 Boot manager omits any {ntldr} entries which the BCD may be having. I had XP, Vista and Windows 7 set up in a triple boot and when I replaced Vista with Windows Developer Preview, it removed the XP entry from the BCD store. I had to add the {ntldr} entry again. Still I couldn't get it to show in the new boot GUI, only in the boot menu (Shift+F8).
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:02 AM
  • This did not work for me, Win 8 is installed in a separate partition in parallel with XP in other partition installed already. boot menu is not available and Win 8 DP boots without any control. Shift+F8 or F12 does not seem to work at all. Nothing happens!

I have already tried the following and NO LUCK!!

1. Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced/Startup and Recovery. Change the default OS to "Earlier version of Windows".

2. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System Configuration/Start up/Selective Startup; Here, under boot tab, XP does NOT appear as a boot option.

3. Run cmd.exe as administrator and execute "bcdedit /set {bootmgr}/default {ntldr}"; command run without any error and completed the operation, but no luck with boot menu.

Could please someone explain how to get boot menu and XP displayed in Boot menu?

• Edited by hari ray Monday, October 3, 2011 4:20 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 4:17 AM