Installing CCR/DSS R2... RRS feed

• Question

• Why is there a dependency to have CCR/DSS R1 installed in order to install R2 if they can be run side-by-side? While I understand that this is a design-time only dependency - its seems quite unnecessary. I am presuming that this is a licensing constraint - can someone confirm? I rather have a big fat EULA that I would(nt) read and a couple of extra dialog boxes to click through rather than have software clutter up and confuse me.

Nikhil
    Nikhil Rajwade, Technical Architect
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• If you are trying to install RDS Standard Edition, then yes, this is a license checking constraint.

The Express and Academic Editions do not have this constraint (and can install side-by-side with each other as well).

Trevor
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:45 AM

All replies

• If you are trying to install RDS Standard Edition, then yes, this is a license checking constraint.

The Express and Academic Editions do not have this constraint (and can install side-by-side with each other as well).

Trevor
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Thanks Trevor,

And I understand why... but dont like it. I now have R1 and R2 installed side by side even though I will be using R2 only.

If there is no runtime dependency can I then uninstall R1 and keep R2 installed?

Just trying to keep my dev environment nice and clean...

Nick

PS: Can you shed some light on my other post? (.NET 4.0/Oslo etc)
    Nikhil Rajwade, Technical Architect
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Yes, once you have R2 installed you can remove R1.

As for .NET 4.0 and Oslo, I can't say much. In any case, .NET 4.0 is still a Beta. At some point in time we will upgrade to 4.0 (because we tend to stick to the latest version of .NET), but I don't know what we will do about Oslo.

Trevor
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:42 AM