Understanding Access User Level Password RRS feed

• Question

• User-1891976228 posted

Hi,

I'm trying to convert over a project previously written in asp 3.0 and access 2000 but I'm having problems with reading the database.  I have a workgroup file that I've specified, the password/username is correct, but I'm getting tripped up on the connection string for c#.net.

This is what I have:
    Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="J:\CustInfo\custinfo.MDB";Persist Security Info=True;User ID=admin;Jet OLEDB:System database="J:\CustInfo\dbsys.mdw"

I was able to access the data before I upgraded to office 2007, vista ultimate and visual studio 2008 and now I'm at a loss.  If i dont specify a system database, I can view the table names but not the data regardless of username/pass, and if i specify the mdw file, i get an access denied.

I'd gotten in before and the password source is the same (email that I'm using to cut and paste), but no go.

I'm not familiar enough with access and am REALLY confused with the new office menu layouts so any help understanding would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

• User-1891976228 posted

No go on that.. Tried Modify, Full for Network Service and the same for everyone.  Still says "not a valid account name or password" 

An oddity that may or may not be related is that the properties of the root folder CustInfo show read only ...even though no files in the folder are set to that.  When I uncheck it and click apply, close and re-enter the properties, its set to read only again.  It's likely not an issue becuase it seems to be the case on every root folder of my F drive.  Thought i'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the thought.

Frank

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:35 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Have you given the user account (NETWORK SERVICE) MODIFY permissions on the Custinfo folder?  If not, try that. 

Friday, June 5, 2009 2:41 AM
  • User-1891976228 posted

No go on that.. Tried Modify, Full for Network Service and the same for everyone.  Still says "not a valid account name or password" 

An oddity that may or may not be related is that the properties of the root folder CustInfo show read only ...even though no files in the folder are set to that.  When I uncheck it and click apply, close and re-enter the properties, its set to read only again.  It's likely not an issue becuase it seems to be the case on every root folder of my F drive.  Thought i'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the thought.

Frank

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:35 AM