none
Depth camera not responding when I tilt the motor in KinectFusion sample RRS feed

• Question

• I have added two simple buttons two the KinectFusion Explorer SDK sample code.

They change the tilt angle of the motor. For example here is the up button.

private void Button_Click_1(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            {
                Thread thread = new Thread(delegate()
                {
                    try
                    {this.sensor.ElevationAngle += 5;}
                    catch (InvalidOperationException)
                    {MessageBox.Show("Failed to move Kinect motor.");}
                    catch (ArgumentOutOfRangeException)
                    {MessageBox.Show("Elevation angle is out of range.");}
                });
                thread.Start();
            }

The problem is that when I click the button the infrared light turns off (I cant see the red speckle from the projector)

and no depth is being constructed until the motor stops moving. How can I move the motor (i.e. tilt the kinect) without the depth stream freezing?

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:48 AM

Answers

• yes either by hand or mechanical rigging.

The motor was provided to get around the lower Field of View, not a mechanism for scanning. With the new sensor, the motor has been removed altogether.

There is no way around the IR shutting off.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by twerdster Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:03 PM

All replies

• Does the IR return ones it transitions to the final angle you set? The tilt motor is not to be used as a way to "scan up and down". Keep in mind the Remarks provided in the documentation regarding its use:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.kinect.kinectsensor.elevationangle.aspx

Because the sensor is in motion, the angle to relative gravity isn't set until the movement is complete.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Hi Carmine, thanks for your reply.

The IR does come back on when the motor reaches its final angle and the depth stream resumes.

I dont intend to use it repetitively. Up and down once is fine and the spec suggests no more than 15 times in two minutes so I would be well within this limit. However I still dont understand why the IR turns off.

In the video below you can see the depth stream continues while the motor is moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M8s2b0wlmKA#t=12

I understand that this was performed by using a non supported software stack but it still seems like

it should be plausible to do it using the current SDK. Surely there is a way to ensure that the depth camera does not turn off immediately when the motor is activated?

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:27 PM
  • I am sure accessing the device directly might give you that data, but the SDK will not support this. Since IR is required to calculate depth values, these would be invalid whenever the sensor is in motion. Turning off the IR enforces that fact. 

We expose camera data through the API which allows you to freely move the camera externally. This is how we can reconstruct using Kinect Fusion.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:54 PM
  • "which allows you to freely move the camera externally"

I assume you mean by hand? In any case it means that in order to allow scanning using

the motor either I have to use non standard libraries or I have to attach an external servo

and add additional hardware to control it? Seems like there would be benefit in being able

to move the motor and continue using kfusion and it has been unnecessarily blocked. 

Is there any way around this issue that you can recommend?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:00 PM
  • yes either by hand or mechanical rigging.

The motor was provided to get around the lower Field of View, not a mechanism for scanning. With the new sensor, the motor has been removed altogether.

There is no way around the IR shutting off.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by twerdster Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:03 PM