cannot open SQL Server Object Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed vs 2012 and sql server 2012 enterprise and sql server express 2012.

I am learning the MVC tutorial on http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc-4/getting-started-with-aspnet-mvc4/adding-a-new-field-to-the-movie-model-and-table . This tutorial creates a sql server localDB database by code first method.

when I click on Visual studio's view/SQL Server Object Explorer, the SQL Server Object Explorer tab shows Unable to connect to a database and browse objects.

Incompatible version of sql server data tools and database runtime components are installed on this computer. Wen I click on Lear more... and Get the latest version of SQL Server Data Tools..., these two page are not available.

How can I find what part of sql server has problem and how can I fix it? Thank you.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:01 AM

Answers

• Hi peter 9,

Thanks for your post.

We need more details to diagnose this issue so I have some questions:

1. What's your VS version and OS version?

2. Have you installed SSDT on your OS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh500335(v=vs.103).aspx

SQL Server Data Tools ships in the Professional SKU, or higher, in Visual Studio 2012. After you install Visual Studio 2012 and install the November 2012, or later, SQL Server Data Tools update, SQL Server Data Tools can report when there is an update to install. For more information, see Check for Updates Dialog Box.

If Visual Studio 2012 is not installed, SQL Server Data Tools will install the Visual Studio 2012 Integrated Shell and install SQL Server Data Tools.

3. Maybe not related to this issue but can you open your SQL Server from SSMS, will you get any error

4. When install Visual Studio have you got any error?

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by peter 9 Friday, May 10, 2013 12:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi peter 9,

Thanks for your post.

We need more details to diagnose this issue so I have some questions:

1. What's your VS version and OS version?

2. Have you installed SSDT on your OS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh500335(v=vs.103).aspx

SQL Server Data Tools ships in the Professional SKU, or higher, in Visual Studio 2012. After you install Visual Studio 2012 and install the November 2012, or later, SQL Server Data Tools update, SQL Server Data Tools can report when there is an update to install. For more information, see Check for Updates Dialog Box.

If Visual Studio 2012 is not installed, SQL Server Data Tools will install the Visual Studio 2012 Integrated Shell and install SQL Server Data Tools.

3. Maybe not related to this issue but can you open your SQL Server from SSMS, will you get any error

4. When install Visual Studio have you got any error?

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by peter 9 Friday, May 10, 2013 12:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I downloaded the SSDT for VS2012 and installed it. The problem is solved.

Thank you for the help.

Peter

Friday, May 10, 2013 12:41 AM