Real time sync of MDS with custom databases RRS feed

• Question

• What I understand out of MDS is that it's a listing of your mission critical data in a single place. I create a model called "Clients", then I create an entity called "MXClients". This entity contains simple attributes as Code, Name, AddressLine1, AddressLine2, CityName, StateName, CountryName and Zipcode. This is very straight forward, I see no complexity here.

Enterprise use case -

I've a few departments in my organization, each department has it's own database say, Sales, Finance, HR etc. Each of these databases has a table called "MXClients" with very much the same columns as the MDS Entity above. 

Questions -

1) My question is how do I link these different databases to my MDS model so that a real time sync could be obtained? If I change "AddressLine1" of a particular client in Sales database. It should automatically reflect to all the other databases(Finance and HR ones) and MDS as well.

2) Can this be configured? If this cannot be done, why should I look for using MDS; I can very well have a new DB and treat that as a centralized data store.

Monday, June 3, 2013 11:47 AM

Answers

• 1) You may leverage on SSIS to import data from your source system to MDS Hub and vice versa.

2) Do you need to the following MDS features?

- Version Control

- Business Rules for each attribute (Configuration)

- Explorer (View/Add/Edit/Delete) for business user (Don't forget there is a excel plugin too)

- Security - User/Role-Based

- Data Governance (before your data being exported to other system)

For new system, developer can leverage on MDS as a hub connecting to multiple applications for view/edit/update.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Friday, June 7, 2013 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:44 AM

All replies

• 1) You may leverage on SSIS to import data from your source system to MDS Hub and vice versa.

2) Do you need to the following MDS features?

- Version Control

- Business Rules for each attribute (Configuration)

- Explorer (View/Add/Edit/Delete) for business user (Don't forget there is a excel plugin too)

- Security - User/Role-Based

- Data Governance (before your data being exported to other system)

For new system, developer can leverage on MDS as a hub connecting to multiple applications for view/edit/update.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Friday, June 7, 2013 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi

here is a concrete scenario description...

In our case we are using biztalk, and we have build a "event" based stored procedure which looks at the mdm.tbltransactionstable everytime it is called... 

when a transactionoccurs on specific entites it creates a line in a Transport table which biztalk looks in (and sends the changed data to all subscribing systems)...the same holds viceversa...if you encounter a change in the sales database you must push it into the staging (MDS) table  ie. stg.MXclients and call a stg.mxclient_zzz procedure. Then the addressline is updated in MDS, and the data staged into mds creates an transaction, which again "triggers" our procedure and the change is send to all the subscribing databases .

This has worked great for us...of course you can use ssis instead of biztalk if you have no need for xml files etc.

/MM

MM

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:23 AM