none
Unable to install instalshield for Visual Basic Studio 2012 express for desktop

Question

• Hello, I'm new in programming in visual baic studio.

I create a software using visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop (vb code).
    In software there is no other deployment such as Installshield from which I can
    publish my software as a .exe file.

So I download Installshield from vendor website, but when I want to install it, it shows
    "Please install Visual basic studio professional 2012 / 13 / 15..."

How can I setup installshield to my visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop?

I installed Inno setup complier, and now I can create .exe file. But it has a security
    problem. My software had attached a access file. When I installed my software
    made from inno complier, access file show up in C drive, within the software folder.
    And my client or I can run that access file and can modified it.

Please help me to solve this problem. I can't find solution from google or msdn website.
    • Moved by qing__Moderator Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:35 AM related to general
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Rationalistp,

Welcome to the MSND forum.

>> How can I setup installshield to my visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop?

As far as I know, the installshield not support the VS 2012 express for desktop. Please have a look at: Download InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio and we can find the following message:

InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio supports the following Visual Studio editions:

• Professional/Premium/Enterprise/Ultimate

*Visual Studio Community Edition is not supported.

Since the express version is not match the requirement and I also checked some different VS versions like Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate on my side and the above message looks correctly like the following screenshot:

To use the InstallShield Limited Editor, you need to install the VS 2012 premium/professional/ultimate and I already checked this function exists in the VS professional 2012 as below:

>> I installed Inno setup complier, and now I can create .exe file. But it has a security
    problem.

For the issue about the Inno setup, please redirect to the Inno setup support forum and create a new thread for your issue and you will get a more professional support from there, since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

BTW, since you used the VB language to develop your software, you can also try to redirect the VB development support forum and start a new thread to check if there have other methods to help you publish it as .exe or not, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rationalistp Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:09 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Rationalistp,

Welcome to the MSND forum.

>> How can I setup installshield to my visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop?

As far as I know, the installshield not support the VS 2012 express for desktop. Please have a look at: Download InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio and we can find the following message:

InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio supports the following Visual Studio editions:

• Professional/Premium/Enterprise/Ultimate

*Visual Studio Community Edition is not supported.

Since the express version is not match the requirement and I also checked some different VS versions like Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate on my side and the above message looks correctly like the following screenshot:

To use the InstallShield Limited Editor, you need to install the VS 2012 premium/professional/ultimate and I already checked this function exists in the VS professional 2012 as below:

>> I installed Inno setup complier, and now I can create .exe file. But it has a security
    problem.

For the issue about the Inno setup, please redirect to the Inno setup support forum and create a new thread for your issue and you will get a more professional support from there, since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

BTW, since you used the VB language to develop your software, you can also try to redirect the VB development support forum and start a new thread to check if there have other methods to help you publish it as .exe or not, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rationalistp Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:09 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:53 AM
  • Thank you very much Sara for fast reply. Now I can understand. Thank you for help.
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:10 PM