Metro app exits with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135)

Question

• I am beginning to port some Xbox 360 game code to a Metro app.  I created a DirectX Application, added some static lib projects to the solution, got the code ported, compiling and linking.  Run the app and it exits behind the splash screen with error code 0xc0000135.  It didn't even make it the first line of main().

Is there something I am missing?  A default DirectX Application runs fine.  This one with several static libs exits immediately with no indication as to why.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:11 AM

Answers

• Error code 0xc0000135 is what you get when the lib uses D3DX11.  Compiles and links just fine.  Cannot find d3dx11_44.dll on launch so it fails.

Turns out D3DX11 is not supported for Metro apps.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• 0x135 is error code 309, and if it is the windows error code, it means: The specified file already has a notification GUID associated with it. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681382(v=vs.85).aspx

Please try to check your inner GUID of the resources.

Best day, Best life
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:08 AM
  • (same Steve as above, different Live account)

I have no idea what you mean by "inner GUID of the resources" (the linked doc didn't help explain it either), but the error code is 0xC0000135, not 0x135.

I had found other forum threads from several years ago mentioning this specific error code on launhc of an application and it meaning that the correct .NET Framework was not installed.  Not sure how that could apply here though in a C++ Metro application.

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Try isolating out the static libs one by one till you hit the one that might be causing problems. Once you get there, you can create a dummy static lib that selectively uses some of the API called in the other static lib till you get a list of function calls that cause the same error. This will help you determine if there's a problem in your code or if it's a bug that needs to be reported.

If you could create a repro-project (very basic static lib that crashes a metro app), then you could also directly submit that through Connect (or the equivalent website).

http://blog.voidnish.com
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Dev Preview.  Figured installing .NET Framework 3.5 to get another application working had done something bad to the .NET Framework 4.5 Preview.

App now runs as expected.

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Dev Preview.  Figured installing .NET Framework 3.5 to get another application working had done something bad to the .NET Framework 4.5 Preview.

App now runs as expected.

Actually, no.  Same error.  On the successful run, there were no calls to functions in the lib projects, so it linked them out.  Adding one function call into a .lib brings back the 0xc0000135 error.

One thing I have noticed different between the executable project and the lib projects is "Enable Tailored Features".  Setting to "Yes" removes several properties from the general property page, and now StaticLibrary becomes an invalid option for "Configuration Type".  Setting "Configuration Type" to "Dynamic Library" and now the projects no longer build.

Back to square one...

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Error code 0xc0000135 is what you get when the lib uses D3DX11.  Compiles and links just fine.  Cannot find d3dx11_44.dll on launch so it fails.

Turns out D3DX11 is not supported for Metro apps.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:46 AM