none
2way sync to local AD

Question

• is there a way to set up 2 way sync local AD using ad connect and azure If user created in azure to replicate down to local AD?

when i create a user from local AD it replicates to the azure AD but if i create a user in the 365 or azure AD it doesn't replicate back to local AD

• Edited by Mark Lunn Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

no you cannot sync back cloud-created user to local AD with AAD Connect.

You can use Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 to do so. I use this to synchronized back security groups and also some B2B users to local AD using a PowerShell connector.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Hello,

no you cannot sync back cloud-created user to local AD with AAD Connect.

You can use Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 to do so. I use this to synchronized back security groups and also some B2B users to local AD using a PowerShell connector.

/Peter

Hi Peter,

Please could I have some more information on Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 and is it free for education?

If we enable domain services for this directory in Azure AD would that sync back users created in the cloud to local AD? I would like to use the cloud as my main Admin area now and have it replicate back to local ad as then I can administrator it from anywhere.

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

this is the landing page for MIM 2016, hard to write all things into this post.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/

If you use MIM Sync Engine only (without the Portal/WebService parts and features) it is free or to be more precise it is included in the Windows Server license.

Portal/WebService Parts requires a user CAL, which you can buy separate or get it includes in Azure AD Premium P1 (or suites includes this like EMS/SPE)

/Peter

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:16 AM