All performance counters are zero while running web performance and Load Testing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am doing load testing for Asp.Net MVC 4 application in VS 2012 ultimate edition. I have set up everything along with machine where my application is deployed.

But all the perfomance counters of that machine is always 0. I am pulling my hairs on this and tried all possible ways of adding the web server machine.

Any ideas what's wrong here ?

San

• Moved by Charles-Li Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:22 AM belongs to VS Test forum
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Sanjay Sutar,

Could you make sure that the user account which is on your controller has access to pull remote counters from your application under test? This can be done by manually opening performance monitors and adding remote counters for the machine in question. 

Check out this blog post for additional info

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2008/11/19/reading-performance-counters-on-vista-and-server-2008-machines.aspx

Regards,

Matt M.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Hello,

The blog provided by Matt is very useful. YOu can check it.

In addition, I find thia article: Troubleshooting Controllers, Agents, and Rigs

Based on it, the cause of this problem may be not having sufficient permissions to read performance counters. For local test runs, the account of the user who is running the test must be a member of the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group. For remote test runs, the account that the controller is configured to run as must be a member of the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group.

Please add the corresponding account into the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group to check the result.

Also you cna check other troubleshooting in that article to see if they can help.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:08 AM

All replies

• Any update on this ?

San

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hi San,

Do you use Team Foundation Service to run your Load Test?

Best regards,

Kimi Li
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:11 AM
  • No, I just have started a Web performance and Load Test project in VS 2012 and did the configuration as shown here http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Studio-2012-Premium-and-Ultimate-Overview/Visual-Studio-Ultimate-2012-Load-testing-applications-in-Visual-Studio

But somehow all the counters are zero. 

San

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi San,

Since you question is more related to VS test, I moved it to the forum of "Test tool in VS2010 and 2012" for a better response.

Best regards,

Kimi Li

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:24 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Whether you want to collect performance data on the web server machine during running load test?

If yes, please check this article to make sure that you have specified the web server machine and the performance counters in Manage counters sets dialog correctly:

How to: Manage Counter Sets

Since your application is ASP.NET MVC 4 app, I suggest you try to specify the counter sets: ASP.NET and Application to monitor to check the result.

If you have done that correctly, whether the data of performance counters of local machine is collected correctly? And please check if %Process Time and Available Mbytes performance counters of the web server machine under Controller and Agents graph has specific performance data collected rather than 0.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Did you mean all the counters or only Asp.Net MVC 4 specific counters shows as 0?

Are you able to see any other default counters?

Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

I have added the server name correctly. But still I am not getting any statistics.

San

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi Sanjay Sutar,

Could you make sure that the user account which is on your controller has access to pull remote counters from your application under test? This can be done by manually opening performance monitors and adding remote counters for the machine in question. 

Check out this blog post for additional info

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2008/11/19/reading-performance-counters-on-vista-and-server-2008-machines.aspx

Regards,

Matt M.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Hello,

The blog provided by Matt is very useful. YOu can check it.

In addition, I find thia article: Troubleshooting Controllers, Agents, and Rigs

Based on it, the cause of this problem may be not having sufficient permissions to read performance counters. For local test runs, the account of the user who is running the test must be a member of the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group. For remote test runs, the account that the controller is configured to run as must be a member of the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group.

Please add the corresponding account into the Power Users group (or higher) or the Performance Monitor Users group to check the result.

Also you cna check other troubleshooting in that article to see if they can help.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Thanks all. It worked finally.

San

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:55 AM