none
Using latest IE emulation for Winforms Webbrowser Control in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a 64-bit Windows 10, 32-bit Office Professional Plus 2016.

I'm using the Winforms webbrowser control for my Outlook Add-In. I set the required registry key to use the latest IE version (HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION, value = 0x2af9). My Outlook updated to the version 16.0.10228.20080. When this Outlook version starts, it deletes the registry key so I'm using IE 7 by default. But I need the latest version for the webbrowser control. I tested this with my colleagues's Outlook with the same results. Some of my colleagues who use the Add-In have Windows 7. So I need a solution that will also work on Windows 7.

What should I do?

Kind regards
    Romina Barth

• Edited by RominaBarth Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:16 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hello Romina Barth,

If the issue occurs only on specific building number version, I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue. For currently, I would suggest you revert to a previous version and waiting for Outlook to fix the issue.

Thanks for understanding,

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RominaBarth Monday, February 11, 2019 12:43 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hello Romina Barth,

What about using code to re-create the key in the Add-Ins star up event so once Outlook launched, the add-in will try to create the key.

Please take below document as reference.

How to: Create a Key In the Registry (Visual C#)

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 3:21 AM
  • What about using code to re-create the key in the Add-Ins star up event so once Outlook launched, the add-in will try to create the key.

Hi,

Whenever Outlook starts, the Add-In sets the key when it can't find it in the startup event. But it does not help. It's still using IE 7.

I set the key before the webbrowser control ist initialized.

My guess would be that Outlook.exe reads the registry key before it starts my Add-In. So setting the key afterwards won't help. And since Outlook deletes the key every time it starts, I can't get my webbrowser control to use IE 11 emulation.

Short example:

Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey key;
    string asm_name = "Outlook.exe";

key = Registry.CurrentUser.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION", true);
    if (key == null)
        key = Registry.CurrentUser.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION");

if (key != null)
    {
        if (key.GetValue(asm_name) == null)
            key.SetValue(asm_name, 0x2AF9, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind.DWord);

key.Close();
    }
    This code worked the whole time till this new Outlook version. I checked this with my colleagues's Outlook: When I updated it to this version, they started having the same problems.

Kind regards
    Romina Barth

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Hello Romina Barth,

If the issue occurs only on specific building number version, I would suggest you go to File->Feedback to submit a feedback for this issue. For currently, I would suggest you revert to a previous version and waiting for Outlook to fix the issue.

Thanks for understanding,

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by RominaBarth Monday, February 11, 2019 12:43 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 6:39 AM