Restart a particular database in sql server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to stop and start a particular database alone in sql server ? i have 5 database in my server out of which 2 datsbase has got some problem . so i would like to stop and start that 2 databases alone.

Could u pls tell me the approach.

Thanks in Advance
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:43 AM

Answers

• If you have all 5 databases under one instance then you can not stop the database, you can take it to offline or disable it, but there is no feature like starting/stoping database. It only allows to start/stop database server instance.

If you have all 5 databases in separate instance then you go to the configuration manager and stop the database instance which ever you want

Mark this post as answer if this resolves your issue.
    Everything about SQL Server | Experience inside SQL Server -Mohammad Nizamuddin
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Can you give us a little more information about the problem you are experiencing with the databases?  Do you have 5 instances of SQL Server on your machine and want to cycle those particular services?  Or 1 instance with 5 databases, some of which are experiencing problems?  You can take actions on an individual database, such as taking it offline, but depending on the problem you are encountering, it may still exist when you bring the database back online.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• Can you give us a little more information about the problem you are experiencing with the databases?  Do you have 5 instances of SQL Server on your machine and want to cycle those particular services?  Or 1 instance with 5 databases, some of which are experiencing problems?  You can take actions on an individual database, such as taking it offline, but depending on the problem you are encountering, it may still exist when you bring the database back online.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:16 PM
  • If you have all 5 databases under one instance then you can not stop the database, you can take it to offline or disable it, but there is no feature like starting/stoping database. It only allows to start/stop database server instance.

If you have all 5 databases in separate instance then you go to the configuration manager and stop the database instance which ever you want

Mark this post as answer if this resolves your issue.
    Everything about SQL Server | Experience inside SQL Server -Mohammad Nizamuddin
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:07 AM