Migrating azure AD connect to new server RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to migrate our azure AD connect from one server to another. We installed the AAD connect on the new server and run a custom configuration coping the settings from the old server by running the wizard and using all the same configuration settings from the old server. We have the new server running in staged mode right now. The old server was setup originally as a DIR sync system then an in place upgrade was done to AAD connect so the only thing we were unable to use is the connection login. We then ran the Azure ADConnect Sync Documenter and have the report but I have no understanding of what it says or what needs to be done if there are any issue. Is there any way we can get any help to make sure we do not make any critical errors that may cause problems or damage  when we switch? 
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:09 PM

All replies

• Azure AD connect Staging mode can be used for introducing a new server and decommission the old:

Azure AD Connect sync: Operational tasks and consideration

So based on my research, the detailed steps to migrate Azure AD Connect to a new server are:

1. Review the configuration of the existing Azure AD Connect instance
    2. Install the new Azure AD Connect instance in staging mode
    3. Compare configurations of the old and new servers
    4. Swtich-over synchronization to the new server
    5. Decommission the old server

For more detailed information, I would like to suggest you refer to the following article:
    Migrating Azure AD Connect to a New Server

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:32 PM
  • That's great but I have a problem with number 3

There are several reports that you generate which you look at to make sure everything is right but I don't understand anything in them. Several sites recommend running a MS utility called Azure ADConnect Sync Documenter that compares the new sever configuration with the old one and generates a report that is suppose to show you problems/issues that need to be taken care of before you make the switch. They give great instructions for setting it up and running it but I cannot find anything on how to interpret what the reports is saying or how to mitigate issues. Oh and the report is 840+ pages long.

I did a side by side compare of the old and new servers configurations with the AAD connect wizard  and everything is set the same but as I said the report has 840+ pages

Also I am not at all familiar with Azure and its sync process they really need a simpler way to do this process. When O365 and Azure was setup my company had an outside vendor come in and set this whole thing up.

Is there  tech support for this from MS?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:18 PM
  • Yes, you can raise a Technical Support Ticket and our engineers would assist you in the migration.
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Would be nice; but, apparently you need a premium subscription in order to open a technical case. 

***** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:07 PM