none
VSTO and dead code. RRS feed

• Question

• I've built COM add ins for PowerPoint XP and 03 that work perfectly, now I am trying to get them to work in Office 07 and am getting no where.

The problem seems to be that when I call an out of process (microsoft encoder) my code dies.  There are no errors thrown, there is ummm, nothing, just dead code.

As an example;

Set encoder blah, blah, blah

encoder.start

Msgbox "Done".

In the above the encoder indeed starts, runs as expected, and then, zip, nada, nothing.  Its as if the rest of the msgbox doesn't even exist.

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• What is your dev environment to build your '07 project? Are you trying to rebuild your COM addin using VSTO 2005 SE?

There are not much clues to go on from your question. Please be more specific ...

-= Maarten =-

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:52 PM
  • Environment

Windows XP Pro SP-2

VS 2005 VB .NET using the latest VSTO build for Office 12

Office 12 B2TR installed

Please take note, this is not a case of coding something I am not familiar with.  I have a COM add-in that has been in the public for two years for both XP and 03 and it works perfectly.  Everything *appears* to work.  That is the encoder is called, it does its work (the media is written to disk) and finishes just as it should and returns a EncoderRunState_Stopped just as it should.  The problem is that when I come back to the next line in my code absolutely nothing happens, even msgbox statements are ignored, its just "dead".

Monday, October 30, 2006 3:47 PM

• As both products, both the VSTO version used as well as the Office version used you could have hit a bug.

As you are converting working code over to the betas I think best thing would be to file a bugreport at the Connect Feedback website with a small trimmed sample for further research by the Office/VSTO team.

-= Maarten =-

Monday, October 30, 2006 4:02 PM
  • Do you have a link handy?  (Connect Feedback)
    Monday, October 30, 2006 4:43 PM
  • Depends, to post to devdiv I would say:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

If posting to the Office group I'm not sure right now as the TAP/Beta sites just transitioned to a new location.

-= Maarten =-

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:15 PM