none
How to undelete a web app file? RRS feed

• Question

• I was editing an Azure Web App javascript file remotely in Visual Studio.  I saved the file to the server and went to my browser and the web app complained that it could not find the js file.  I had closed VS, so I opened VS and connected to Azure to fine that my js file was no longer there.  First of all, that is disturbing; second, does anyone know how to recover this file.  I had not backed it up locally in a few days and I stand to lose quite a lot of work.

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:10 PM

Answers

• Ok, I restored the file that I got from 4/11. This suggests that it was not deleted until later that day.

David

• Proposed as answer by David EbboModerator Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by BGB394680 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:00 PM

All replies

• I've discussed this with a few folks and we are evaluating all code paths we can think of to determine if there's a scenario in which an accidental delete could happen; currently there's no evidence or known issue. 

Could you be more specific about a repro for this? Specifically, which version of VS and of the Azure SDK are you using? Also, are you editing files from within Server or Cloud Explorer? 

If you do have a repro for this, please try to replicate the behavior (obviously using less-important files in a less-important site you can delete once you validate or invalidate this is a legitimately reproducible issue)?

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I will get the specific information on the VS and SDK version later today.

In VS2015, using Cloud Explorer, I open the files remotely from the web app in Azure.  It had been a week or more since I had worked on the file (still open in VS).  When I returned to work on it, made some changes, saved back to Azure.  I closed VS, went to my browser to test the changes and got the 404 not found message for my javascript file that I had just saved.

I can try to reproduce this, however, at the moment I would like to know if there is any chance in recovering my javascript file.  Otherwise I will need to get to work on rewriting the last 20 hours of changes since I had last saved it locally.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:20 PM
  • It may be possible to recover a file, but it's a fairly complex/manual process that we need to do, and doesn't always work. Can you share:

• The Web App name, either directly or indirectly
    • The path to the deleted file
    • The time at which you know the file still existed

David

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Indirectly: http://dummy37.azurewebsites.net/

The path is home\site\wwwroot\dbAccessLayer.js

I am not sure the last time that it actually existed on the server.  I had left VS open with the file loaded since March 30.  When I went to edit the file on April 11 aproximately 1030 PM CST, it was still loaded in VS; however, it may have not been on the server at that time, I didn't have a reason to check at that point.  I did some editing and then saved; it took a while (maybe a minute or two) to save.  My Azure login was acting strange, it did not have a place to re-enter my credentials in the Cloud Explorer, and when I had tried to logon to the Portal through Chrome, it was behaving strange.  So I shut down VS to reboot, but decided to test the web app and noticed that no data was populating, so I saw that the console log was showing 404 for dbAccessLayer.js.

Billy

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Ok, I restored the file that I got from 4/11. This suggests that it was not deleted until later that day.

David

• Proposed as answer by David EbboModerator Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by BGB394680 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:00 PM
  • You are my hero!

Thanks e6

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:10 PM