none
2.0 USB failure more interesting than first appearance. RRS feed

• Question

• Own the PC version of the hardware. I had been using the 1.8 version of the SDK, but wanted to use 2.0 - especially since there is a package in Unity for that.

And hit the infamous USB 3.0 issue. I swapped ports several times, including using the otherwise unused connection on top, which should be a totally different circuit than the ones in back.

As an exercise in exasperation, I re-installed the 1.8 driver. At least that got the rig to stop chiming about new hardware AND it does now show the Kinect sensors in the device manager. However the 2.0 software is still pouting about USB 3.0 - refusing to acknowledge the devices being present. 

The fact that 1.8 could see the device and 2.0 cannot is most unsettling. My rig being an Alienware adds to the concern. If a top-flight gaming machine cannot use this then there is a serious problem for marketing Kinect.

Saturday, November 29, 2014 7:07 AM

All replies

• Which USB3 issues are you having?

Kinect v1 and v2 runtime/drivers have no effect on each other and will not change the outcome of how the system sees the v2 sensor. Both SDK's can be installed side-by-side, but only the v2 sensor will load the v2 driver(VID/PID). If you have a system with both v1 and v2 sensors attached, then you might have a power/resource issue. We have used Alienware, MacBook Pro and even Surface Pro 2 and 3 devices without issues.

Can you confirm the USB3 chipset on the machine? When you connect the device what issue are you having?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:48 PM
  • The machine is an Alienware Aurora R4. I only have one hardware sensor, which did work using the 1.8 SDK. When installing the 2.0 SDK, it fails at the device driver step - claiming that I don't have any hardware connected.
    Running the stand-alone SDK validator states essentially the same words.

My game controllers are on a USB (2.0) powered hub to spread the load. The 3.0 side should have been unused/loaded at the time of the tests. What worries/confuses me is why the driver would complain when
    an older version running on exactly the same hardware was happy.

From device manager.....

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:16 PM
  • I don't see the entries in the screen shot for v1 or v2 sensors? What is "NaturalPoint Devices"? Are these third party drivers for Kinect? if so, they will have to be uninstalled before installing the Kinect official drivers.

Even though you have a separate USB2 port, this is sometimes shared on the same PCIx bus. Additionally, USB2 and 3 ports can share the same host controller chip. Even though you have multiple ports, there is only one host controller, so all paths lead through this one chip/bus on the motherboard. You will have to confirm with the OEM to confirm how this is wired on the motherboard. Also, depending on the design of the board, they may also have the webcam/trackpad/bluetooth/wireless/SATA wired in to the same bus. All issues that would lead to "no resources available" or connectivity issues when connecting the v2 sensor.

As for the v2 SDK, there are no checks for a sensor when you install the SDK. It is only when you connect a v2 sensor does the driver try to load. Can you confirm you only have the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.8 and v2.0 installed? In fact if you uninstall all Kinect related entries in the Program and Features uninstall list restart with the sensor disconnect, reconnecting the device with automatically install the right driver for the v2 sensor.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:59 PM
  • NaturalPoint is irrelevant, it is for the TrackIR head position monitoring device - nothing to do with Kinect.

Reposting with device list - showing that Win 8.1 does see hardware  ( Kinect for Windows package ).  And the SDK test software claiming there is no hardware present.

I do understand the issues of shared current loads etc. But I remind you that I have made no changes in hardware
    between the time I used the 1.8 SDK and the failing 2.0 SDK - only this package was changed. Furthermore I can
    revert to 1.8 and regain connectivity. The screenshot was taken while I had 2.0 installed, but manually added back the 1.8 hardware drivers.

Monday, December 8, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Are you trying to use a Kinect v1 with the SDK for the v2?

"I only have one hardware sensor, which did work using the 1.8 SDK. When installing the 2.0 SDK, it fails at the device driver step - claiming that I don't have any hardware connected."

The v1 uses SDK 1.8 whereas the v2 uses SDK 2.0.

I have had no problem running v1 and v2 together on the same machine.

• Edited by Phil Noonan Monday, December 8, 2014 4:19 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 4:14 PM
  • The sensor was purchased this summer - "Kinect for Windows", pc version not the older unit for Xbox. That is a version 2 sensor, yes??
    • Edited by Evil Echo Monday, December 8, 2014 4:26 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 4:25 PM
  • http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/kinectwindows-1lg.jpg

This is a Kinect for Windows v1. It is a little different to the Kinect for Xbox360 as it has a 'near mode' option to allow for more reliable data at near mode.

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Pre-order-Kinect-for-Windows-Sensor-2.jpg

This is a Kinect for Windows v2. It is basically the same sensor as the Kinect for Xbox One however it has the adapter cable that takes the propriety data cable from the Kinect for Windows v2 to a USB 3.0.

It sounds like you have a Kinect for Windows v1.

Monday, December 8, 2014 5:38 PM
  • The V1 image does match the sensor I own.

So now the thought is - hardware I bought shortly after it came out has been replaced by newer hardware ( fine ) and software that is not backwards compatible, leaving me holding an empty bag and shy almost $200. Do I buy the V2, risking another bait and switch (strong words - but I do feel like I've lost a fair amount of money without recourse), or say thanks and walk away now?

I had planned to use the Kinect for motion capture as part of my work in developing a combat simulation software library. At this point, will have to re-evaluate whether Kinetic is feasible since V1 seems obsolete.

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:54 PM
  • The v1 is a good sensor and I use both v1 and v2 daily, as for certain situations the v1 is arguably better than the v2. The v1 is still supported by MS and through openNI (see the point cloud library and structure sensor guys).

Play around with the v1, if it does what you want it to do, then great! If you want to do the high fidelity body tracking stuff then perhaps the v2 is more suited to you, that being said the v1 still does have body tracking. 

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Thank you Phil, it gives me some hope. I will look into the software you mentioned.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Post a photo of the sensor you are referring to? Kinect v2 only went on sale in July, but we had a public preview back in November. Were you part of the preview?

Based on the device manager output you showed, those are entries for the v1 sensor. V2 sensor should only show one entry in device manager like so:

As you can see you can have both devices connected to the same PC as long as the system has the resources to handle it.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:59 PM