VS Editors, Designers, and Special Folders RRS feed

• Question

• So,

Been working on several projects for a while now and have some great ideas, but my knowledge base is limited.  NOt sure that I am using the right vernacular to look up what I want to achieve.

First Question:

There are Designers and Editors.  Which is which in terms of creating my own.

I always thought that the "Editor" was the pop up that was instantiated by the Properties grid, (the kind that descend from UITypeEditor).  Yet it sometimes appears that the programming vernacular calls them Designers.  So for reference let's call them DesignEditA.

Whichever the case is, those I know how to create, and have made several custom varieties.  But when you think of the "Forms Designer" and the "Dataset Designer" they are integrated design views that you can see the code, but you also can see this visual editor built into VS as a Tab, not a popup form. 

I believe those are different than the Type Editors so we'll call them DesignEditB.

1) What is the proper term for DesignEditA and DesignEditB?
    2) Where is the appropriate MSDN guide for creating a DesignEditB type editor?

Second Question:

In Most .Net projects one can add "Web Services" based upon a specific type of connection and protocol.  (i forget the details, but not important here).  Because there is also the "Service Reference" too.  (We could even mention the "References" node as well.

My question here is how would I go about creating a special folder or node like that.  Must like the Service Reference, you point it to a WSDL and it generates a series of files regarding that WSDL file.  If I wanted to create a "Special Node" like that, how would I go about doing it? I"m sure there are some registration things do do via COM and Visual Studio, just like Custom Tools that are associated via the file type.  (like the DataSetGenerator for the xsd dataset file.) But i can't seem to find out how to make my own "custom" "Service Reference" type node in visual studio that could be added to any type of project.  Where would I start looking? (MSDN site would be preferable)

Thanks

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

"Never Trust a computer. Your brain is smarter than any micro-chip."
    PS - Don't mark answers on other people's questions. There are such things as Vacations and Holidays which may reduce timely activity, and until the person asking the question can test your answer, it is not correct just because you think it is. Marking it correct for them often stops other people from even reading the question and possibly providing the real "correct" answer.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi JaedenRuiner,

>>1) What is the proper term for DesignEditA and DesignEditB?

Based on your description, it seems that it is editor feathers.

>>2) Where is the appropriate MSDN guide for creating a DesignEditB type editor?

About adding Features to a Custom Editor, please refer to the following document.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166386.aspx

>>But i can't seem to find out how to make my own "custom" "Service Reference" type node in visual studio that could be added to any type of project.  Where would I start looking.

Do you mean creating a WSDL using C#, if so , here is a demo for your reference.

http://mleder.blogspot.sg/2008/05/creating-wsdl-using-c.html

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Great help on the first part regarding which guide to follow for my custom editor.

As for the folder question, i'm not actually looking to create the "Service Reference" folder.  That is easy, and I can add service references to a project. 

I'm talking about I want to create my own "CustomFolderItem" which has it's own icon, and menu commands that allow for custom behavior within that folder.

I am also looking to find out how to add my own menu and menu items, to both the main menu, as well the solution explorer context menu.

Thanks

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Reac Ruiner

"Never Trust a computer. Your brain is smarter than any micro-chip."
    PS - Don't mark answers on other people's questions. There are such things as Vacations and Holidays which may reduce timely activity, and until the person asking the question can test your answer, it is not correct just because you think it is. Marking it correct for them often stops other people from even reading the question and possibly providing the real "correct" answer.

Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:58 PM