Testing of Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've submitted an app for a windows 10 Core IoT device (a raspberry Pi 3) however it's failing certification with the following issue:

App Policies: 10.3.1 App Is Not Testable

Notes To Developer

Unfortunately, we can’t test your app: <br><br>Reason:<br>The app fails to install.<br><br>Device family:<br> Desktop

Tested Devices: Windows 10 Desktop

However as can be seen from the screenshot below, I haven't selected windows 10 Desktop as one of the installable platforms.

How do I get around this issue?

thanks

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Again,

After searching through the instructions, I've found the method to submit and app through the OEM route.

It's a real shame that you have to jump through these hoops to publish IoT apps, I think it really is stifling the market as IoT devices, by there vary nature, can be numerous and wide reaching, therefore a reliable way for small businesses to update their devices over the internet is essential.

OK, registering to be and OEM partner isn't hard, however I can't see the logic behind the decision.

anyway, thanks for all the help.

regards

Jon

Jon Hooper

• Marked as answer by Jon_Hooper Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:00 PM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Jon,

You might check TargetDeviceFamily (Windows 10) :

"Note  Currently, apps targeting IoT or IoTHeadless are not valid in the app store and should be used for development purposes only."

So your app currently cannot be used for publishing purpose, but you can still sideload your app on the IoT device for developing and testing purpose.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:49 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

Does this mean the article:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/docs/store

Updating an App

Updating apps on IoT Core are very simple.

1. In the Windows Dev Center create a new App Submission for the app to be updated
    2. In Visual Studio package the app as done earlier in Step 3 in the Publishing UWP to Universal Store section. (Note: Be sure to increment the version number for each new package)
    3. Upload the package to Windows Dev Center under the new submission and submit
    4. Following the app certification process devices will update the app to the latest version. (Note: App updates on devices can take up to 24 hours to receive latest version)

is incorrect then, as that gives the steps I followed to publish the app?

So how do I update IOT apps over the air once they are installed on the device?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

>Does this mean the article is incorrect then, as that gives the steps I followed to publish the app?

The article you provide is aimed at OEM as you can see "Microsoft makes it easy for OEMs to install and service UWP apps on Windows 10 IoT Core through the Universal Store" and "If you are developer wishing to preinstall apps for IoT you must seek sponsorship from an OEM enrolled in the program." in the Notes. They have special permission in their Windows Dev Center account.

>So how do I update IOT apps over the air once they are installed on the device?

You can update your app through sideloading (Local Deployment/Remote Deployment). Please remember to increment the version number for each new package.

For detailed steps, you may refer to the blog written by @David Jones: Win 10 IoT Core: Universal Windows Apps Sideloading (Updated) .

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suit ability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

I am a registered device partner and I've agreed the T&Cs for an embedded/IOT Distributor so (I think!) I should be able to deploy and update Apps in the app store for core IoT.

However from the information above, I guess I have to publish the app in a different way than I have been?

Jon Hooper

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:33 PM
  • Hi Again,

After searching through the instructions, I've found the method to submit and app through the OEM route.

It's a real shame that you have to jump through these hoops to publish IoT apps, I think it really is stifling the market as IoT devices, by there vary nature, can be numerous and wide reaching, therefore a reliable way for small businesses to update their devices over the internet is essential.

OK, registering to be and OEM partner isn't hard, however I can't see the logic behind the decision.

anyway, thanks for all the help.

regards

Jon

Jon Hooper

• Marked as answer by Jon_Hooper Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:00 PM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:00 PM