What is the difference between .net Standard and .net Core multi target? RRS feed

• Question

• At first I have understood that .net Standard is the best option when I want to use the class library in many projects like xmarin, .net framework (WPF), UWP... etc. Something that I couldn't do with .net Core because in this case the cross plantform means different OS (linux, windows, mac) but I can't use this class library on xamarin, UWP, .net framework...

However, later I have read about the .net Core mutli target, that I can set many targets so I can use the .net Core library on UWP, .net framework, xamarin... And how it is .net Core, also I can use it in linux, mac and windows, something that if I am not wrong, it is not possible with .net standard. So it seems that .net Core multi target has the best of the two.

But I am wondering the real differences, and when to use one and when to use the other.

My idea it would be have a class library as repository to access to the database, so have only one library that it would be used in WPF project for a desktop application and also to be able to use in UWP and xamarin. This I could do it in .net standard. But if in the future I will want to use it too in linux or mac, I should create .net Core library that uses this .net standard library, it would just a middle library that would call to the .net standard library, but it would be an additional layer. So I was thinking that if the repository to access to the database would be a .net Core multi target library, I have only one layer to access to the database.

I don't know if this is correct or not. So I would like to know the differences between .net Core multi target and .net Standard and how I could solve the architecture of the aplication that I describe above.

Thanks so much.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 10:00 AM

Answers